General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Mon 07-Jan-13 13:04:46
Print Post

First 10 days

[link to this post]

I understand there may be speed fluctuations in the first 10 days and I'm sure I have read (I have read lots, maybe too much) that I need to keep my (engineer supplied) modem and my router on for those 10 days - is that entirely necessary?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jan-13 13:13:50
Print Post

Re: First 10 days

[re: tallseabird] [link to this post]

FTTC is a little different

First 48 hours are important, but really on the openreach modem is the thing that needs to be connected and working. The router can be rebooted etc

The speeds can and do vary forever as the VDSL MUST react to bursts of noise and things like crosstalk over the life of the line, just like with ADSL and ADSL2+

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Mon 07-Jan-13 13:18:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thats great. Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-13 17:17:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The speeds can and do vary forever as the VDSL MUST react to bursts of noise and things like crosstalk over the life of the line, just like with ADSL and ADSL2+

In fact DLM actually seems to work on BT's FTTC/VDSL implementation.
Or, at least, it works in both directions (unlike ADSL DLM which only ever seemed to increase margins and reduce speeds).
Ever since getting FTTC (around 18 months ago) I've had full speed (40Mbps, then 80 when that was rolled out), with few - if any - unforced resyncs.

Over the Christmas period my sync dropped by around 20Mbps, with the IP profile following it, and stayed there (regardless of daytime reboots, etc.) yet almost 5 days (to the hour) from my last forced reboot, my speed is back up to where it's always been and the IP profile has immediately jumped back up.
My guess is loads of tacky external Christmas lights between here and the cab.

Whatever it was, I'm happy to report BT's DLM doesn't seem anywhere near as broken as it was on ADSL smile

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Mon 07-Jan-13 17:17:24)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-13 09:01:34
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

the much improved part seems to be now that ip profile tracks the sync speed better and that its instant on a ppp connection. I cant really comment on the DLM side as on adsl I was on a hideous connection due to E-side noise ingress. So now its different line behaviour the new DLM is dealing with.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:14:04
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

You actually have two DLMs operating there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:22:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

2? Where?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:30:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The UK; Europe; The World; the Solar System; the galaxy; the universe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:03:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry Roberto,
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You actually have two DLMs operating there.
Can you explain in what way are there 2 DLM's?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:18:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The Openreach DLM controls the line connection. Banding, noise margins, interleaving etc. This applies to all GEA connections, currently BT Wholesale, Sky and TalkTalk.

For BT Wholesale-using ISPs, on initiation of a new PPP session the BT Wholesale DLM, (the normal WBC one modified for this purpose), queries the sync speed and sets the IP Profile appropriately.

The WBC DLM also seems likely to be able to pass ISP-requested stability and traffic priorisation settings back to the GEA system.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 08-Jan-13 13:19:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to