General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DMcCoy
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-13 21:41:38
Print Post

Very slow FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi, I've just moved to vdsl in the last week, and while I *know* the cabinet is still a mile away I had been hoping to improve upon my reasonable 4Mb ADSL

With the ECI modem the speed is 4.5Mb/0.6Mb (adsl was 4Mb/0.9Mb)

Sadly the ECI gives no details so I've changed to the HG612 for testing (which is connected at a terrible 2.5Mb/0.5Mb)

Anyone able to help interpret this graph?

http://i.imgur.com/jbchU.png
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Jan-13 21:47:00
Print Post

Re: Very slow FTTC

[re: DMcCoy] [link to this post]

What was your estimate?

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters
Standard User DMcCoy
(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-13 21:49:04
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Estimate was 10.9/1.0

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Jan-13 21:56:02
Print Post

So you are a distance from the cab, the only option for you is to contact BT.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-Jan-13 22:08:00
Print Post

According to the VDSL Band Status you only have 1 upstream and 1 downstream band.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 00:14:30
Print Post

At that distance I am surprised they accepted the install. As you are well down on estimate and sub 5Mb then you need to speak with your ISP and, if you want to, ask to be returned to ADSL at the lower cost.

That said, I have to ask where your modem was connected when you did the measurements? In the test socket? on a long extension? and how much internal wiring do you have from where it comes through the wall to the master? Can it be shortened?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-13 03:42:29
Print Post

I can tell you what I see is interesting.

Is that if BT sold adsl2 from cabinets that would help people in your position.

The attenuation on D1 is 30db. For adsl if you had 30db attenuation you would have a much improved signal over your old adsl. But from cabinets vdsl2 is the only service offered by BT. The problem with the VDSL2 service however is to protect existing adsl services the frequencies that conflict with adsl have the power cut back, and it seems your conneciton cant make use of the frequencies above those hence the poor sync speed.

This power cutback to protect adsl has probably lost you 2/3 to 4/5 of the signal you would otherwise have. Ultimately there is nothing you can do about this as openreach dont provide adsl from cabinets and the vdsl2 policy is there for good reason to protect existing adsl services. I think you would be around 10-12mbit sync if on a adsl from the cabinet service.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 08-Jan-13 03:43:40)

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 08:06:27
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Surely, though, ADSL from a cabinet would have to have a power mask just as tough as the VDSL2 power mask applied in order to prevent crosstalk from trashing ADSL from the exchange and other VDSL2 connections. In that case, offering ADSL from the cabinet is of very little advantage. Further, ADSL from the cabinet would lessen the effectiveness of vectoring VDSL2 for reducing crosstalk.

The only way round this would be to require all DSL in areas with FTTx cabinet to be provided from the cabinet - but that would preclude DSL via LLU and SLU, which Ofcom are not going to allow.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jan-13 08:57:12
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

yes it adds complexities in various ways hence its a no go and isnt future proof at all as vdsl2 replaces it.

I was just saying what could have worked well for long lines from cabinets.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User DMcCoy
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 09:06:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Modem is connected to a 7m cat5e extension, which is connected to the punch down socket behind the front plate.

There is no extension wiring and it is no better/worse when plugged directly into the nte.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to