General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CFLEETWOOD
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:17:30
Print Post

RE FIBRE BROADBAND & GIGABIT ROUTERS

[link to this post]

I was thinking of having PlusNet Fibre broadband installed, but am a bit confused about whether or not iI will be in a position to use my exisitng ethernet Gigabit routers that i have in other rooms of the house ?

I presently have a normal ADSL modeM (which would be replaced) but then have a couple of Asus RT-N65U Dual-Band Wireless-N750 Gigabit Router's in others rooms.

I do not particularly wish to go to the expense of replacing these , at this point in time.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:21:20
Print Post

Re: RE FIBRE BROADBAND & GIGABIT ROUTERS

[re: CFLEETWOOD] [link to this post]

Do you mean a normal ADSL modem/router? If so, there is no difference.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User CFLEETWOOD
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:31:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, I presently have a standard adsl modem/router which plusnet have advised me would be replaced, but when i asked about the others routers in my home they said that these would not be compatible.

As i''m just in effect extending my network throughout the house i did not think this was correct ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:35:58
Print Post

As these routers don't talk to the ADSL directly (and wouldn't be able to, if I read the specifications correctly), nothing needs to be changed there. Just unplug them from the existing ADSL modem/router and plug them into a LAN port of the new router Plusnet will provide.

edit - or if they are connected as wireless repeaters rather than wired, modify the configuration as necessary to connect to the new PN router. Anyway, they don't need to be replaced.

Edited by Uilebheist (Tue 08-Jan-13 12:37:03)

Standard User CFLEETWOOD
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:42:35
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help, i thought that might be the case.

Other than normal internet use, i use it for streaming movies off the net.

would 40GB be fair usage or would it be advisable to go for an unlimited package ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:58:30
Print Post

Streaming movies can eat GBs. The price difference between the two is £3.50pm. As an overrun costs £5 per 5GB, with unused not carried forward month to month, Unlimited seems the way to go.

One point the others haven't mentioned re the routers.

The one Plusnet supply has LAN IP address 192.168.1.254. You may need to adjust that, or the subnets of your own routers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:00:35
Print Post

I'd always go for Unlimited. I've seen a statistic saying 1 hour HD streaming = 1 GB.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:02:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/beginners...

Usage FAQ

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 13:19:34
Print Post

Keep your existing Gbit routers linked together in your local network and then have a single Ethernet connection to the Plusnet supplied Router.

That will leave all your local traffic on Gbit links and just the data to/from the modem using what is likely to be a 100Mbit link. There will be a little management traffic too but minimal.

Let the Modem act as the interface, the Plusnet router as a "management tool" for DHCP server &c and your RTN65Us as the networking tool and WAPs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:13:11
Print Post

You can connect the VDSL2 modem directly to one of the ASUS routers. You just need the PPPoE username and password.
  Print Thread

Jump to