General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User avmoron
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 12:39:34
Print Post

Teddington TW11 PCP011

[link to this post]

Planning was refused by Richmond Council for a fibre cabinet opposite ( on the opposote side of the road) PCP011 in March 2011. I would like to know whether this is the end of the issue - ie no fibre broadband or whether in the light of new planning rules the fibre broadband cabinet will be installed. how do I find out.

Edited by avmoron (Fri 11-Jan-13 12:40:36)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 13:03:47
Print Post

Re: Teddington TW11 PCP011

[re: avmoron] [link to this post]

What was their reason for refusal?

Depending on their reasons and BTs attitude then it might or might not be the end. You could start challenging teh council and working with others to get a new application submitted.

Don0301 took on Colchester Council http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4137815-col... rather long but have a quick read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User avmoron
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:02:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

They were not happy with the siting which is kerbside saying it would restrict parking although the siting is within double yellow line area, they also said they were not satisfied that it would not obstruct pedestrians although the pavement in that area is about 3 metres wide but then I think the real reason is because of its size and prominent location which would be harmful to the character and appearance of the conservation area. They took no note at all of the service that would be provided to the households and businesses that could make use of the fibre broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:33:10
Print Post

Have a read of the thread - there are plenty of similarities.

If you can get local support, one or two councillors plus a large number of residents then BT might reconsider and initiate a new application.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Jan-13 14:38:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by avmoron:
Planning was refused by Richmond Council for a fibre cabinet opposite ( on the opposote side of the road) PCP011 in March 2011. I would like to know whether this is the end of the issue - ie no fibre broadband or whether in the light of new planning rules the fibre broadband cabinet will be installed. how do I find out.

If I remember rightly legislation is coming in later this year which states that BT can put cabinets wherever they please pretty much.

Also BT submitted a ton of sloppy planning permission requests en masse despite Richmond Council asking for discussion on the matters. Once BT actually sat down with the council and discussed things the vast majority of planning permissions were accepted.

EDIT: I see. The planning application didn't document pavement clearance, and BT didn't explain why it had to be on the other side of the road from the existing cabinet.

BT could've put in another application once they'd met the council but appear to have put just the one in and decided it wasn't worth their while.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 11-Jan-13 15:47:05)

Standard User don0301
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-13 14:46:33
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

There is a consultation ongoing with a view to relax BT's rights for placing broadband street cabinets, it is expected to finish Spring 2013. There is no news yet about any legislation following from it.

It is standard practise for BT to put in 2 planning applications before they 'walk'

I would recommend contacting the planning application applicant to pursue having another planning application done.

As MHC said, read through my thread for pointers and help.

Good luck
  Print Thread

Jump to