General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Riddler
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 15:57:45
Print Post

Downstream speed deteriorates during daytime

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have an ongoing problem with my FTTC daytime downstream speed. The problem first appeared just after the New Year. I was successfully connected in early December 2012 and the line profile quickly stabilised to 37-38Mb/s, with actual downstream speeds of 34-35Mb/s. Upstream line profile is 10Mb/s with speeds varying between 5 and 7 Mb/s. So far so good.

However, since the New Year between the hours of 9 am and 6 pm, the downstream speed deteriorates (sometimes dramatically), appearing to bottom out during mid to late afternoon. As 6 pm approaches, it rapidly returns to normal. BT speed tests return erratic results, frequently with a red bar i.e. speeds falling below the 16Mb/s threshold (the line profile is unaffected). One test returned 0.99 Mb/s! However, upstream speeds are not impacted. Ping tests (ping -t) to both the WNR2200 router and UK servers return normal latency times. Line quality MOS tests return a robust 4.39. Rebooting the PC, router and BT modem during the day makes no difference the problem, but it can take a while for the active connection between the modem and the router to be restored when the modem is reset. There doesn't appear to be any EMF interference that could be impairing the function of either the modem or the router, certainly none over the normal electrical output. All connections are hard wired and the router's wireless is switched off.

I have worked with my ISP (who are technically very competent) but they are unable to detect any fault their end and inform me that neither can BT. The next step, which is an engineer's visit, comes with the usual warning of call out charges being levied if the fault lies with my equipment, although I feel I've been as thorough as possible with my troubleshooting. The problem is frustrating as I often work from home and need the daytime bandwidth for video conferencing.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so, what measures were taken to resolve it.

Many thanks in advance.

PS When the engineer first connected me to the fibre cabinet, he couldn't get a DSL signal. A return visit revealed that the cabinet had been wired in the opposite way to normal, so he had to switch round my connection to get it to work!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Jan-13 17:52:12
Print Post

Re: Downstream speed deteriorates during daytime

[re: The_Riddler] [link to this post]

So outside of these hours throughput speeds return to what you see as 'normal' ?

What results does www.speedtester.bt.com give you, note the IP profile, and if poss, run at both 'good' and 'bad' times.

Sounds to me like congestion on the network, who is the ISP ?

(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 23:19:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi,

As I mentioned above, "normal" downstream speeds are between 34 and 35 Mb/s (around 92-94% of the profile value).

All values used for the investigation have been obtained via BT Speedtest. My ISP (Fast) also uses this data to assist with their diagnostics.

In the last 24 hours however, the BT speed test site appears to be malfunctioning (for me anyway). It temporarily hangs at 96% completion of the downstream test and then returns one of the following error messages, either

"Test Error. The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider "

or an internal server error (HTTP 500).

However the result on speedtest.net at 23:15 today was 36.27 Mb/s up and 5.41 down.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 12-Jan-13 14:03:17
Print Post

Is it just Monday to Friday you get problems?

(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 19:24:04
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Is it just Monday to Friday you get problems?

Hi R0NSKI,

Yes it is. I've carried out several speed tests over the weekend and results have been consistently normal throughout the day and evening.

Incidentally the BT Speedtester site is working again. It has been completely revamped and is now accessed via this link. Interestingly it no longer uses Java and I'm wondering if the on-going critical vulnerability issue influenced the update and choice of plug-in software.

Download speeds have been around 36Mb/s with the IP profile holding steady at 37.39. BT's updated site gives the following advisory message:

"We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance."

It looks like Zarjaz's suggestion may be the root cause to the problem. An engineer is scheduled to visit on Tuesday.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 19:54:00
Print Post

Zarjaz is the expert, but I find it odd that it's only Monday to Friday, and 9am to 6pm. I was wondering if it was some sort of industrial (not that there is much industry near you) electrical noise.

But if your ISP, which I think you said was FAST is primarily a business supplier then I suppose it is conceivable that their network is the problem, and they are having bandwidth problems during working hours.

Do you have an unlocked HG612 so you can log the stats, this will allow you to see whats happening with your connection on lots of pretty graphs.

(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 23:10:21
Print Post

Update: the Openreach engineer called this morning and carried out line diagnostics. However he was unable to detect any fault. The downstream line speed started to deteriorate just as he was finishing up around 9:30am, but as it didn't drop below the 16 Mb/s service level threshold, no FTTC-specific diagnostics could be initiated. A new HG612 made no difference as half an hour after he left, BT Speedtester recorded a downstream speed of 7.5 Mb/s. The result was forwarded to my ISP.

The case has now been passed back to BT Wholesale for further investigation. In the meantime I may flash the modem's firmware to unlock the diagnostic apps.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-13 10:28:55
Print Post

I would recommend flashing the modem and running the monitor program 24/7 if possible. Be sure to log your current stats on a daily basis as well, I didn't realise this as first, but this information is also useful.

I have it running on my server so have records going back to about 20 minutes after my connection went live.

I've had some weird behaviour on my connection the last few days, you can view the logs here to give you an idea of what they produce.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/taoq8c1ydgm90dr/kd1X08IGnj

Also if you have a static IP you can setup a thinkbroadband ping monitor, see the main site under the tools section.

My ping monitor.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/fce24b487f5...

How much all this information will help is debatable as OR seem pretty reluctant to investigate faults, unless they are below an unbelievably low threshold!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Jan-13 17:00:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Be sure to log your current stats on a daily basis as well, I didn't realise this as first, but this information is also useful.
?
In the Ongoing stats folder there is modem_stats.log. All I ever look at, once you've worked out the columns you are interested in.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Jan-13 18:16:37)

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:16:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know what's where, don't know what it all means though wink

I might be wrong but I'm sure there is other useful information in the current stats, like the bits loading, quiet line noise, SNR, attenuation graphs etc, which is not recorded in the modem_stats_log.

Either way he might as well store the data, it doesn't take much space and it's there if needed smile

PS I'm sure the Bald Eagle will confirm, which reminds me I need to test some scripts he sent me.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 16-Jan-13 18:17:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to