General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nick_C
(learned) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:44:47
Print Post

Thinking of getting BT Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of making the jump and ordering BT Infinity to replace my 4MB O2 broadband. Just have a couple of questions -
1) As my master socket is located nowhere near my I want it to be, will the engineer be able to drill holes in walls to get it where I want it to be (as an extension)?
2) How long is the lead time between ordering, receiving the home hub and installation typically?
3) How accurate are the speed figures on the BT Phone Line checker (mine says 44MB up and 8Mb down) bearing in mind for my for my ADSL2+ connection I wa predicted 8MB up on a 44db attenuation but I only get 4MB.
Thanks!

----------
UKOnline, Lite LLU Dec 2006-June 2010 --> O2 Standard, June 2010-present
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:53:03
Print Post

Re: Thinking of getting BT Infinity

[re: Nick_C] [link to this post]

1. probably, but if you want to be sure you could drill the holes in advance and ask to run an extension through them?
2. that seems to depend on where you are and how busy Openreach are. Whan you place an order you are probably given an idea of available install dates.
3. it''s an estimate but the resulting speed depends on factorsd outside BT's control (and probably knowledge) like the degree of corrosion on the wires (which they may not have looked at in decades). It's also possible that your current ADSL speed is reduced by noise from home wiring, which the checker wouldn't know about, and which you may wish to improve anyway.
3.5. are you standing on your head? I think you mean 44 down, 8 up (and 8 down / 4 down on ADSL).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:54:08
Print Post

1) Nowhere near could be a long way and six walls. They certainly will go through walls, but maybe there's a limit within the time allowed.

2) Varies depending on the area you are in. SOme are within a few days, some can be weeks. If your phone isn't with BT Retail that can slow things down. Is the phone with O2, because if it is you will have to move it within a short time of migrating the broadband.

3) Reasonably good for fibre.

Question - why Infinity?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 15:01:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nick_C:
BT Phone Line checker (mine says 44MB up and 8Mb down) bearing in mind for my for my ADSL2+ connection I wa predicted 8MB up on a 44db attenuation but I only get 4MB.
Thanks!
I didn't think about this bit, but upside down as Uilebheist says, and Mbps, not MegaBytes.

The 8Mbps on ADSL2+ looks very high. Over 7Mbps connection is unlikely, and that would give 5.8Mbps speed tests result on a very lucky day. What are your line stats. (If using the O2 box, available through SuperUser. See www.o2help.co.uk).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Jan-13 15:02:06)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 15:36:10
Print Post

my gut guess is you more likely to get above the estimated speed in a low populated area as the bundles may be of lower density and less crosstalk affect.

if you first on the cabinet you will probably get much higher than the estimate.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Nick_C
(learned) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:20:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I did reverse my up and down values! BT looks the best option as I already have my line with BT and they have an unlimited usage allowance, plus I don't have sky or virgin media. Anyone have any experience of other fttc providers?

----------
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:25:06
Print Post

Plusnet will give you a good run for your money - based on mine and other's experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 23:23:07
Print Post

I've been with the premium-priced IDNet FTTC and now on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre, in effect since February 2012 and have just extended my minimum term by 11 months to upgrade to the (new) Unlimited product. So a big vote of confidence from me.

(On Plusnet - 40/2 40GB peak-time allowance >> 80/20 with 250GB peak-time allowance still within the original 18-month term, and today the move to 80/20 unlimited, restarting the 18 months).

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 00:20:53
Print Post

Another vote for Plus Net here, been with them since 2003, a bit cheaper than BT as well I think, especially if you can refer people you'll get a monthly discount for as long as they are with PN.

Standard User Nick_C
(learned) Mon 14-Jan-13 09:05:36
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Would I have to move my phone line to them though? Also does BT infinity throttle online gaming eg Xbox live?

----------
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to