General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mapoo
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 15:31:53
Print Post

O2 or Digital Region Network Fibre? Origin etc

[link to this post]

Hi, ive been with O2 for some years now never had a Problem! but id love more speed, but cant get it, BT have no plans to even do our area in Sheffield for Fibre Optic, but we have a Service called Digital Region Network with quite a few companies offering Fibre Optic, I can get 40 Mb's with this as im not far from the Digital Region Cabinet.

Does anyone know of Digital Region? Origin Broadband any information would be appreciated, im not sure wheather to go ahead! as im on O2 Standard and wouldnt be able to go back if it didnt work out...

Also I have Sky Tv so I have 3 Phone cables going into one Phone box for the Sky Tv, would this affect Sky in any way going on Fibre Optic? as I need the cables to be run from the Sky boxes at all times, due to Skys Terms & Conditions or I get charged apparently.

Anyone whos gone ahead with Digital Region would love to know your views!

O2 Standard Broadband & O2 Home Phone

Edited by Mapoo (Sun 13-Jan-13 15:33:20)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:43:01
Print Post

Re: O2 or Digital Region Network Fibre? Origin etc

[re: Mapoo] [link to this post]

on the Sky front there's a phone service included with SYDR but I can't swear to whether it'll do what sky require - if the sky box makes a call with CLI that should be ok.

http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/residential-servic... seems to offer BT copper phone service as well as VoIP service from the cabinet.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:44:50
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

SYDR is a sub LLU service, with only broadband unbundled.

The PSTN side remains as Openreach with the usual functionality and choice of WLR providers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:50:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

See link - "Origin Data Line" for example doesn't have copper voice service on the new line installed. I have also read of another ISP where you get their phone service as part of the deal .

Both SMPF and full MPF are available as LLU - witness Rutland Telecom.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Mapoo
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 22:57:33
Print Post

I'm really unsure what to do, I dont understand any of your answers lol

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 00:25:06
Print Post

Mr Saffron said the telephone (Public Switched Telephone Network) stays with BT with a choice of Wholesale Line Providers, so I don't think you'll have any problems with your phone line.

Standard User swampster
(committed) Mon 14-Jan-13 07:00:13
Print Post

Hi Mapoo,

I'm on the Digital Region network with Origin Broadband.. they're a small independant local South Yorkshire based ISP but they are able to provide you with what you're looking for. They're very helpful , very friendly and (touch wood) I've so far found the service second to none!

My advice is to give them a call and talk through what you want or need, they'll be able to answer most if not all of your questions before you make any decision about proceeding.

Feel free to tell them I sent ya too wink
They do have a referal scheme where you can get discounts for recommending people.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Mapoo
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 11:54:32
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

Thanks alot for your information, you made me feel more confident in ordering! but sadly o2 said I accepted a offer of 6 Months free broadband and its a 12 month new contract...

But on the Website its states im "out of contract" but they said on there system it shows im in one...

Origin said to phone them ask how much to get out and we can help by reducing your Bills

Oh yes I phoned, O2 say it would be £126 for 6 months Pay... No way I can do this, i've enjoyed o2 and been really Happy... but that price is Ridiculous after the ammount of years ive been with them...

plus the advisor was beginning to be a liittle bit of a A** I could tell with her voice... frown

Have to wait till September now

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Jan-13 12:30:49
Print Post

?
You aren't going to get 6 months free without the 12-month commitment, even from O2. However long you've been there. That's how all their retention deals have always been.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 14-Jan-13 13:23:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 12:45:10
Print Post

Had forgot that one.

Origin Data line is actually a WLR I believe, but with the no calls. Same as what Andrews & Arnold offer, closest you get to naked DSL in the UK.

Rutland is either SMPF and full MPF, but pretty sure that SYDR is a SMPF only system. There is no requirement to move the telephone line over, and running a mixture of SMPF and MPF would complicate things even more.

SLU MPF was not available in 2011, if the doc I've found is correct, or at least not used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to