General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 12:56:20
Print Post

Infinity 2 - Fibre to the Wrong Cabinet

[link to this post]

Thought I would share my experience thus far:

I ordered Infinity 2 on 27th November, was given an install date on 7th December, which I felt was slow, but I figured worth the wait. Booked half a day off work, rushed home, engineer was a nice chap, but the job spec had the wrong cabinet, therefore he could not get the service working, although he installed the openreach socket and left me with a shiny new VDSL modem.

Customer service no help whatsoever, didn't even apologise. I even got a text message claiming that I had missed the appointment!

Next date given: 21st December. This time the engineer is a contractor, he faces the exact same problem (down to the same incorrect cabinet number).

Customer services pretty apologetic this time, sent me a free 3G dongle (doesn't work, but hey). Next date: 15th Jan - I was on holiday for the first two weeks of Jan. Before I went away I received two calls from customer services assuring me they had fixed the "routing" problems, and one call from an engineer checking that the phone line was working.

15th of Jan arrives and the Open Reach Engineer (contractor) is great, but once again the job spec has the wrong cabinet on it. He was even patient enough to wait whilst I got through to customer services and he spoke to them himself for me. I am now awaiting a call back.

So that's three lots of 3/4 of a day off work (inluding travel time) and still no connection. Anyone else finding it's hard to get this product up and running?
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:14:35
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 - Fibre to the Wrong Cabinet

[re: cad42] [link to this post]

I'm not clear why there's still a problem.

It's not unknown for pair details to be wrong on the records - the engineer who installed our FTTC was given details of a pair which, in his words, was hanging in the wind in the PCP. A few minutes with an oscillator and probe sorted out the problem.

Presumably the first engineer went as far as identifying the correct PCP and pair, using an oscillator and probe if necessary. That should have allowed him to submit the correct details. If so, there's little reason other than human error for two subsequent failed visits.

Is there any hope you can persuade someone at BT to read through the engineer notes and chase Openreach for a resolution?
Standard User cad42
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:20:47
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

The second and third engineers had no idea this was anything other than a first visit, so I think you have hit the nail on the head - no one is reading the notes from prior visits! However, today's engineer did write very clear notes (on his tablet, right in front of me) so I will certainly ask customer services to make sure they are read this time!

Thanks - I'll keep you posted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:28:49
Print Post

Customer service usually do not get to see the openreach notes, as they are a different division/company. All that usually is shown is a code I believe.

BT Retail needs to ensure that Openreach are made aware of the type of visit required, both parties in this game are known for pressing buttons but not filling the boxes correctly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:57:26
Print Post

BT as a whole organisation are a shower of ****, far too fragmented and divided. My son had 17 engineer visits at his rented property to sort out a 'poor' voice line, none of the 17 had any idea of previous visits or notes.

The suggested remedy is to email the sorry saga to the CEO, Ian Livingstone who I would hope would not be happy with this waste of resources or poor customer service.

ian.livingston@bt.com
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:04:44
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

The fragmentation is what the regulator wants, so that other providers have the same equivalent level of access to various parts of the group.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:53:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The fragmentation is what the regulator wants, so that other providers have the same equivalent level of access to various parts of the group.

With a recent fault on a line it required something like 7 office based individuals in t e chain plus the technician. Previously it would have been 2 ! There are some many chances for a minor mistake to become a very big one and then there is the additional costs that the fragmentation brings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All that's needed are for the notes to be read and acted on properly before another engineer is sent - it doesn't much matter if they never leave Openreach.

Sadly, this seems to be too much to hope for sometimes.
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:17:57
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Indeed - in my son's case, 16 visits reporting house ok, fault in exchange. No 17 arrives at house to check wiring.............
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:15:30
Print Post

I wonder -

There may be a pre-existing tie from one cab to another.

I know this is possible as back in the dim and distant past my mother was having repeat loss of sync on her ADSL connection and an appaulingly high attenuation given her distance ATCF from the exchange - 62dB when 1.89KM from exchange.

Eventually Openreach connected her line in WWEXTR PCP160 to a tie in that PCP, which then went to PCP64, which then went back to WWEXTR.

She then had a 42dB attenuation, over double the sync rate and no loss of connection.

Perhaps your line can be routed to the PCP listed on the job sheet in the same way but the engineers aren't aware of the tie?

Jump to