General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rotor2k
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:12:29
Print Post

Recommended router for FTTP 330 Mbps?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've had FTTP installed just recently (I just happen to be in one of the areas), and I bought an Asus RT-N66U router, which is widely regarded to be the top Gigabit/Wireless router. However, to my great disappointment, the Asus only achieves roughly 200 Mbps (tested via speedtest.net and by downloading the 1 GB test file from thinkbroadband). Using the BT-provided Home Hub 3 I can achieve around 310 Mbps. I don't want to use the HH3 as it is very restricted in its configuration, and e.g. I have no control over the BT-Wifi sharing of my connection to the general public.

It seems that although the Asus has the capacity to route around 700 Mbps from WAN to LAN (according to Small Net Builder benchmarks), this must be without PPPoE (which seems to kill the CPU).

Has anyone had any success with any reasonably-priced routers over very fast PPPoE connections?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:24:35
Print Post

Re: Recommended router for FTTP 330 Mbps?

[re: rotor2k] [link to this post]

It may be the HH3 can manage over 700 Meg i.e. still suffers from PPPoE issues if that is the cause.

Tried Asus support, they might recommend different firmware.

The N66U has a reasonably vibrant range of firmware options in tomato, and people have been talking about that on here, so worth a look.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kev_445
(learned) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:33:34
Print Post

Do you have QOS enabled on the Asus?

Are you doing the test wired or wireless?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rotor2k
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:36:38
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kev_445:

QoS is disabled. Testing from a Core i7 PC connected via Gigabit Ethernet (through a Gigabit switch).
Standard User rotor2k
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:37:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It may be the HH3 can manage over 700 Meg i.e. still suffers from PPPoE issues if that is the cause.

Tried Asus support, they might recommend different firmware.

The N66U has a reasonably vibrant range of firmware options in tomato, and people have been talking about that on here, so worth a look.

A suggestion I received is that the HH3 is 400 MHz dual core vs 600 MHz single core for the Asus, and that being dual core may make the HH3 more apt at processing PPPoE.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:47:22
Print Post

This http://linitx.com/product/13148

or maybe a PC running pfsense.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User kev_445
(learned) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:47:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by rotor2k:

QoS is disabled. Testing from a Core i7 PC connected via Gigabit Ethernet (through a Gigabit switch).

I think you could be right, it sounds like it is a CPU limitation. The best you could hope for is a firmware release which optimises the PPPOE, I would recommend contacting Asus to see if this is the case.

I've come across the issue in the past with another make of router, where it could handle 100Mbit in routed mode, however only around 10Mbit with PPPOE.
Standard User rotor2k
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:51:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
This http://linitx.com/product/13148

or maybe a PC running pfsense.

I'm waiting for this to become available in two weeks:
http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD

Intuitively I don't think it will be able to handle it. The one you linked has a 400 Mhz processor, and the new one I linked has 600 Mhz, which is the same as the Asus RT-N66U that can only handle ~200 Mbps.

Have you actually got the 750GL pumping 300+ Mbps (with PPPoE)?

The problem with the PC is noise, power consumption and space.
Standard User rotor2k
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 14:53:15
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

I think you could be right, it sounds like it is a CPU limitation. The best you could hope for is a firmware release which optimises the PPPOE, I would recommend contacting Asus to see if this is the case.

I've come across the issue in the past with another make of router, where it could handle 100Mbit in routed mode, however only around 10Mbit with PPPOE.

I emailed Asus this morning -- they say it takes 48h to respond, so we'll see what they come back with.

I'm quite shocked at how CPU-intensive PPPoE is -- why do the ISPs use it? The processing power at the head end must be monstrous.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 16-Jan-13 15:26:42
Print Post

No, I use a PC running pfSense smile

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to