General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User beercan
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:23:12
Print Post

BT checker now hints at FTTP - next steps?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

My house has been scheduled for FTTP for ages now but I've had no success in getting it.

Since the recent update to the BT wholesale checker, my address now shows the following info, which includes a sentence that (I believe) people who are getting FTTC don't see:

Address, EX2 5JB on Exchange EXETER is served by Cabinet 25
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential .

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Jan-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2014.
Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

I phoned BT to see if they could place and order and after educating the assistant on what FTTP even was, she said it was not available to me.
Any ideas what the FTTP sentence above indicates and whether it should be taken with a pinch of salt?

Many thanks!

Edited by beercan (Wed 16-Jan-13 18:41:36)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:34:04
Print Post

Re: BT checker now hints at FTTP - next steps?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

Can I suggest editing your address. Just leave te post code

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:39:14
Print Post

Once it is available to you it will show in the table above that sentence, there is another thread on here about the updated checker, and a few have noticed the same sentence. Somebody else who can get FTTP has checked and confirmed it shows in the table once available, all that sentence seems to mean is that you are scheduled to get it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beercan
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:42:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both.
I guess that's a step in the right direction! smile
Standard User izools
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-13 19:13:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by beercan:
Thanks to you both.

Indeed.

I saw this on the checker and jumped for joy, then checked another address on WWEXTR which I knew had FTTP available and that had a line above WBC to say 330Mb Fibre available.

Unfortunately Openreach have confirmed the Exeter FTTP rollout as being on hold until "Some time after spring" in recent correspondence I had from their NGA team... frown

It's chuffing ridiculous that a lot of FTTC areas on WWEXTR have been enabled for what, 18 months now? I mean, c'mon, we're in Phase 5a and still nearly every single FTTP address in the city has to continue lumping with long-line ADSL despite - and I quote the Openreach NGA team - the infrastructure already being in place, just awaiting light loss measurements...

Since Summer 2011? Give me a break.

/rant

Edited by izools (Wed 16-Jan-13 19:15:58)

Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 20:18:33
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
In reply to a post by beercan:
Thanks to you both.

Indeed.

I saw this on the checker and jumped for joy, then checked another address on WWEXTR which I knew had FTTP available and that had a line above WBC to say 330Mb Fibre available.

Unfortunately Openreach have confirmed the Exeter FTTP rollout as being on hold until "Some time after spring" in recent correspondence I had from their NGA team... frown

It's chuffing ridiculous that a lot of FTTC areas on WWEXTR have been enabled for what, 18 months now? I mean, c'mon, we're in Phase 5a and still nearly every single FTTP address in the city has to continue lumping with long-line ADSL despite - and I quote the Openreach NGA team - the infrastructure already being in place, just awaiting light loss measurements...

Since Summer 2011? Give me a break.

/rant

At least Exeter has access to Virgin Media! Think about us poor folk over in Exmouth with no Virgin or FTTC (yet)
Standard User chrigurndevon
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 08:16:33
Print Post

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

At least Exeter has access to Virgin Media! Think about us poor folk over in Exmouth with no Virgin or FTTC (yet)

Not all of Exeter! Virgin Media stops at the end of my close. FTTC stops half way up the hill to my house. My scheduled FTTP on hold until Spring at the earliest. Just 5km of copper wire keeping me in touch with the 21st Century frown
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:24:10
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

They say good things come to those that wait.

I'd gladly of waited another year for a propper 21 century solution, FTTC in my mind is a stop gap and prone to problems if the coppers not very good like mine. BTor seem very reluctant to fix faults unless they are drastically bad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:17:21
Print Post

I agree to some extenct.

It does feel when looking at what openreach have done is that they consistently always do whatever is cheapest, FTTC forced upon them by marketing needs and vectoring not taken up because it was not seen as needed to market the higher speeds. vectoring would have removed a lot of variances seen from line to line of equal length making FTTC a more consistent product, although there still would be some remaining as openreach wont fix the issues of their local network been a mix of different cable quality.

Thats why I dont fully agree, FTTC with everything in place to make it work well is a good product but also not very future proof, but if its rolled out on the cheap then it will be more prone to problems.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 14:33:45
Print Post

The way BT are rolling out FTTC means it acts as a stepping stone to FTTP by bringing fibre deeper into the local network. It is no accident that FTTP On Demand will build on existing FTTC infrastructure.

A full commercial FTTP roll-out would be cost and time prohibitive at this stage. FTTC offers the majority of people connected to a served cabinet a much better service than before at minimal extra cost.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to