General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rajravat
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:09:58
Print Post

Homeplug problem since having infinity installed

[link to this post]

I have a really strange problem that I can't work out, my current set up is as follows:

Room 1: Bt infinity modem > asus n66u router > dlan 500 homeplug
Room 2: dlan 500 home plug > tp link switch > pc

I also have a nas connected to the switch.

wireless internet speeds to my laptop are fine from the router, usually between 40-50mbit,
wireless internal network speeds are also fine e.g. copying a file from my nas (which is going through both home plugs and a switch), usually transfer at around 25MB/s (not a typo, megabytes)

wired internet traffic directly from the router are fine
wired internet traffic from the home plugs is extremely slow, usually around 1-2mbits, now here's the weird part, wired internal network traffic is fine, if i connect a usb stick to my router, i can copy it on the pc at over 10MB/s.

which makes me think the problem is somehow related to the home plugs, but then why do they transfer fine for internal stuff? has anyone come across something like this before?

I have tried resetting the home plugs, tried not using a switch, tried moving home plug sockets, but in the end, it only seems to be internet traffic that is affected, and only when going through the home plugs, I'm completely stumped. any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

My previous ISP was o2, using the same setup, and never had any troubles hitting my 4 megabit broadband to my pc through the home plugs...

Thanks
Raj.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:20:54
Print Post

Re: Homeplug problem since having infinity installed

[re: rajravat] [link to this post]

packet size issue?

but as you said strange

IanD
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:27:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by rajravat:
My previous ISP was o2, using the same setup, and never had any troubles hitting my 4 megabit broadband to my pc through the home plugs...
Did you use the same modem and router with O2?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rajravat
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:31:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No the modem/router i used was the one provided by O2 (some form of branded net gear), i'm now using the vdsl open reach modem installed by the engineer and a asus n66u, the home hub 3 they provided had [censored] wireless range, but i also experienced the same issue with it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:37:09
Print Post

Are the homeplugs on different ring mains and, if so, do you have any compact flourescent lamps running?

I had a similar problem with Devolo homeplugs between computers on different ring mains- file transfer was fine in daylight hours, but as soon as a CFL was switched on it went down to dial-up speeds.

So roll on summer smile

I assume it's because if they're on different rings the signals have to go via the consumer unit, where it meets up with all the other supplies in the house, whereas if they're on the same ring there's a direct(ish) copper connection between them. Or something like that.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:39:17
Print Post

I'd guess at an EMC issue between the Homeplug and the BT modem - probably RF energy from the Homeplug getting into the modem via its power supply or via the BT wiring.

The easiest way to test this is to see what happens to the Internet throughput to your wireless laptop whilst simultaneously passing as much internal traffic as possible over the Homeplug link. If the throughput to the laptop drops in this scenario, this suggests I'm correct.

If I'm correct, winding the modem's power cable through a ferrite ring as shown in figure 9.3(a) on this page (with the ring finishing up as close as possible to the modem) would be my first step, but I have suitable ferrite rings to hand. The other possibility is the RF energy is getting in via the phone wiring - changing the BT supplied flat cable between modem and filter for a twisted pair one would help, as would winding that cable through a ferrite ring as I've just described. I'd also do my best to get the phone cabling to run at right angles to the power wiring, but you can't do much about the fixed wiring in the walls.

My favourite fix of all would be to put the Homeplugs in the bin and replace them with an Ethernet cable - but, as a radio amateur, I dislike all technologies that inject RF into power wiring.

Standard User rajravat
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:41:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

The home plugs aren't on a different rings, the router and first home plug is in my landing, and the second home plug is about 5 meters away, on the same floor - i even tried a long ethernet cable so both home plugs are in the same room, but got the same result!

the slowness is only affecting internet traffic and not internal traffic, so i don't think something plugged in somewhere is causing an issue, very strange behaviour
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:49:21
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
I'd guess at an EMC issue between the Homeplug and the BT modem - probably RF energy from the Homeplug getting into the modem via its power supply or via the BT wiring.

Edit: I've just realised that billford was talking about a different brand of Homeplug to the original poster, so this second post of mine may or may not be correct.

billford's experience with the Homeplugs being interfered with by a CFL suggests that the lack of immunity may be in the Homeplug rather than the BT modem. If this is the case, the issue arises because there's a much bigger overlap between the frequencies the Homeplug uses and your new VDSL service than your old ADSL service.

If the lack of immunity is indeed in the Homeplugs, changing the cable between the BT modem and filter for a twisted pair one may help, as may winding a ferrite ring onto the BT modem's power cable (in case RF is leaking from the modem back onto the power wiring that way) but the right answer is likely to replace the Homeplugs with something else - a cable if you can, another brand of Homeplug if you must.

Edited by David_W (Thu 17-Jan-13 21:52:59)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 17-Jan-13 21:55:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
billford's experience with the Homeplugs being interfered with by a CFL suggests that the lack of immunity is in the Homeplug rather than the BT modem.
Yes, I should have mentioned that- the internet connection (FTTC) from the main computer (iMac) doesn't go through a homeplug, and that remains fine even when intra-LAN transfers via a homeplug are essentially unusable.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rajravat
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 22:05:33
Print Post

Wow, just tested your theory and your right, if i transfer a large file from the router (via usb) to my pc, the open reach modem just resets itself, verified twice as i couldn't believe it, that explains that then! what a bummer, i will have to think of another way of getting internet onto some of my ethernet only devices, i wonder if another brand of home plug would have the same problem, or using my own vdsl modem?

I will look into the ferrite rings, and the other tips you have suggested first.

edit: My home plugs are dlan devolo so are the same brand!

Many thanks for your reply!

Raj

Edited by rajravat (Thu 17-Jan-13 22:10:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to