General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 10:26:28
Print Post

How long from cabinet installed to accepting orders?

[link to this post]

Anyone know how long it normally takes for a cabinet to go live after installation?

Where I am is scheduled to get FTTC by 31st March but no sign of a cabinet yet. From previous experience it can be over 6 months from the cabinet being installed to accepting orders. So is that March date completely unrealistic?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-13 10:58:15
Print Post

Re: How long from cabinet installed to accepting orders?

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Anyone know how long it normally takes for a cabinet to go live after installation?

Where I am is scheduled to get FTTC by 31st March but no sign of a cabinet yet. From previous experience it can be over 6 months from the cabinet being installed to accepting orders. So is that March date completely unrealistic?

Sometimes a week, sometimes months, sometimes it's there for months and Openreach come back and remove it.

I've had an FTTP fibre aggregator sat in the manhole at my doorstep for 18+ months now and still can't order fibre...

Just a matter of waiting an indeterminate amount of time I'm afraid.

Edited by izools (Sat 19-Jan-13 10:59:17)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:03:33
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

Wow really no knowing. frown

I'm in a conservation area, do BT still have to apply for planning permission? If so they haven't even done that so this isn't looking good.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:23:28
Print Post

Wow really no knowing. frown

I'm in a conservation area, do BT still have to apply for planning permission? If so they haven't even done that so this isn't looking good.

Unfortunately this is the sort of situation in which Openreach have been known to remove a cabinet once installed...

You might be lucky though! smile

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:31:57
Print Post

As others have said its a waiting game.

In my location is was around 6 weeks from seeing the surveyor standing with a not pad looking at the existing green cabinet to then having the FTTC cabinet installed and Running. It was then another 2 weeks before I could order the SKY service., so in total 2 mths.

IanD
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:44:03
Print Post

I'm in a conservation area, do BT still have to apply for planning permission?

Yep.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 15:24:43
Print Post

The March date is not a schedule. It's a possible.

Any quarter-end date is just a holding one, to say there is a chance. The date frequently gets put back three or six months (repeatedly) during the last fortnight before the end of the quarter.

Sorry frown .

Given that they haven't asked for planning permission it sounds unlikely, unless they have found a non-visible place to put it that doesn't break other planning regs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:11:01
Print Post

conservation areas were the only places they need planning permission, however I believe that was changed and now only SSSI's require permission, so as long as you're not an endangered species........

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:31
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
conservation areas were the only places they need planning permission, however I believe that was changed and now only SSSI's require permission, so as long as you're not an endangered species........

From the bottom of the article Phil:

The government aims to introduce the new changes around Spring 2013.

Not in place and not law yet. They may be waiting for that to come in and saving a few quid hence the lack of an application.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:20:24
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:

Even normal areas councils can get in the way. My parents FTTC cabinet has been put to the back of the queue because the local council didn't like BT's chosen location! Grr. They only get 4meg on ADSL frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to