General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:07:17
Print Post

BDUK FUNDING PROJECT NORFOLK

[link to this post]

As many of my attempts to try and get fibre to my estate looks to have failed i suppose we will just have to wait fore the norfolk county council to get there ass in gear and get moving on with there project to give people like us and rural areas fibre access

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/index.htm

i am finding it hard to try and find out any info on when they will be carrying out work dates etc etc . can anyone find any info on there website for plans etc etc because i cant or am i looking in the wrong place

cheers bazza
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:54:26
Print Post

Re: BDUK FUNDING PROJECT NORFOLK

[re: bazza1984] [link to this post]

The contract was only signed before Christmas, their will be a few months while Openreach surveys the area to determine what work needs to be done.

Any plans wont be announced for a while yet, first connections are not expected till the end of 2013, and the project to complete by Autumn 2015, project website below.

http://sayyestobroadband.co.uk/

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:07:56
Print Post

North Yorkshire signed their BDUK agreement back in July, and have been "planning" since.

In this time, there has been ONE cabinet installed with great fanfare (there might have been a second without the fanfare, but no confirmation of this).

There has been a website created for the project (Superfast North Yorkshire), and I imagine Norfolk will get their own. This is part of the "branding" that is being done for each county, so "they" can start to advertise locally and improve the take-up rates, without advertising any one ISP over another.

However, there has been no official announcement of the plans for any extra exchanges yet, or any infill within existing exchanges, or the result for EO lines, or the technology to be deployed for the "out-of-coverage" homes.

On the positive side... Many of the county's exchanges have appeared unofficially in Openreach's "coming soon" and "future exchanges" lists, spread evenly over 2013 and 2014. I don't have the figures to hand, but it is roughly 120 exchanges added (on top of the 18 being upgraded commercially) and at most 10 being left out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 14:43:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

cheers , just gotta play the waiting game i suppiose!
Standard User xatnet
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 16:46:02
Print Post

I like this bit from the council press release

Once these surveys are completed, details of the next stage of the project, which will see work to upgrade a number of the major exchanges in Norfolk, will be revealed. The first new services made possible by the upgraded infrastructure are due to be available by the end of 2013, with other exchange areas set to be upgraded in phases over the following two years

Looks like they are going for the major exchanges first, not the areas where BDUK is supposed to be helping.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Fri 22-Feb-13 00:35:46
Print Post

[re: xatnet] [link to this post]

Do you have a link to the council press release where the quote is from?

All documentation that i have read from the Norfolk team states that the project will deploy first to the white rural exchanges where their are no llu suppliers.
As the above quote only mention major exchanges, their could be required work before Openreach can deploy outwards from them, best to wait for the first list of exchanges to be announced.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Fri 22-Feb-13 00:36:16)

Standard User xatnet
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 13:54:52
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/News/NCC116373
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:28:33
Print Post

[re: xatnet] [link to this post]

Basically the major exchanges are where the handover points will be for the infrastructure, so from the central point the network will expand outwards.

The smaller exchanges wont be upgraded but their cabinets will and the backhaul will go back to the major exchanges.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User pinola
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:07:09
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In my area of Norfolk (Castle Acre) Someone from BT has been around and sprayed all the cable runs from manholes to poles all over the village,
looks like they are going to dig them up I guess they are not in ducts? 90% of the village is overhead hope if they dig them up that replace with fibre. I have not seem them yet or I would ask.

PIPEX MAX

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6591 kbps (823.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 372 kbps (46.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:27:45
Print Post

[re: pinola] [link to this post]

If its overhead they'll deploy the fibre to the cabinets overhead potentially.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to