General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 21-Jan-13 16:21:54
Print Post

Worth reporting to Sky? (Ongoing issue)

[link to this post]

Hello,
I had my Sky fibre installed originally on 10/12/12. Unfortunately, things didnt go smoothly.

Long story short originally synced at 14MB down (Est 25.6) and over the next week or so had about 20-30 disconnections, 3 engineer visits later and speed dropping to under 8MB the latest one found that squirrels had chewed through 2 parts of cable further down the road. Both replaced, straight away connected at 26.9MB Down and about 7.5MB Up and I was happy, this was all on the 5th Jan.

Cut to today, I have seen the connection go down about 3 times (DSL light on Openreach modem goes off etc) 2 of which were in the first couple of days of having the line fixed and the DLM reset. And then one occured about 3 nights ago about 8:45PM. As they are not frequent in any way its not a problem (unless it kept disconnecting mid evening during my gaming time! Which it hasn't.). But the one thing that does concern me is I have gone from 26.9 Down to 20MB Down exactly and about 6.5MB Up.

Before I would of been on the phone again but to put it mildy my experience with Sky has been fairly terrible, waiting times and too many advisors who just didn't know what they were talking about.

I am tempted to wait until this weather passes to see if it picks back up, although I have read theoretically the copper lines love cold weather. Or is this possibly quite normal? My line is 1.1km long. I had one of the more knowledgable advisors (or he sounded it at least) who told me that when they do a line test if its an over 25% reduction in the engineer checked speed then it will always flag up as a fault. This sounded reasonable as a 25% margin for error of speed isn't too bad but a 7MB drop on a 27MB line is a fair whack as I use torrents regularly and the max speed has gone from 2.9mb p/s to 2.1.

I am coming off a 3.5MB Down/768k up connection so its a huge improvement but is it worth reporting?

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 16:27:40
Print Post

Re: Worht reporting to Sky? (Ongoing issue)

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

Needs sky to check the line stats, what is the connection speed reporting in the Sky router.

It may be the Openreach DLM has kicked in to stabilise the line, i.e. stop it flapping off/on

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

DownStream Connection Speed 20000
UpStream Connection Speed 6688

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:55:19
Print Post

If you are around 1 km from the cabinet then to be expected, the DLM may be reason for the drop or just an increase in takeup thus increasing cross talk

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Tue 22-Jan-13 17:46:58
Print Post

Cheers for your help.

I notice today that the speed has risen to 22MB down, thinking that it cant be a fault if the speed does in fact go up. Am I right in thinking that FTTC can change the sync speed on the fly without a disconnection?

I used to be able to tell what was going on with my ADSL connection but as the Sky Hub is used again for FTTC it is absolutely terrible, doesn't show correct speed until reboot and the 'logs' don't log anything outside of the Sky Hub's connection.

I am aware you can hack the BT modem but I don't really have any interest in hacking something to find info Sky/BT should have in the first place!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 18:36:18
Print Post

FTTC usually needs a resync to change speed still.

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Tue 22-Jan-13 18:52:29
Print Post

Yep its done it 3 times so far tonight...think i'll give em a call, can't see that being normal.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:36:49
Print Post

just to be clear for MrSaffron...

are you 1Km from the Cabinet? or is your line 1Km from the exchange?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Jan-13 00:25:03
Print Post

Your sig is confusing smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 02:18:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for delayed reply, i'm 1km from the cabinet.

It's disconnected several times in the last few days including a couple mid evening so will be giving them a call. I will settle for 20MB+ quite happily at this point but I do want it stable.

Also, i'm not gonna change my sig until my speed actually decides where it wants to stay wink

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Thu 24-Jan-13 02:19:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to