General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DanoK
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:21:17
Print Post

BT Line???

[link to this post]

I've asked the same question on the official Sky forums as well

Basically, Iíve been using my telephone number to monitor when my cabinet will go live. My phone line has been with Sky for over a year but my broadband was with BE. On Friday 18/01 my broadband switched to Sky. As BE wonít be offering fibre anytime soon my thinking was to join Sky ADSL then simply upgrade in a month or so when my cab goes live.

Anyway, since Fridayís broadband switch all the BT checkers are now failing to find any information on my line. The checks now say ďThere is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.Ē

Iím starting to worry as last week this check gave very detailed information on my line.

Is this anything to worry about when it comes to ordering fibre?

Thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:22:29
Print Post

Re: BT Line???

[re: DanoK] [link to this post]

it means your number is not in the BT Wholesale database it is now part of the Sky full LLU database.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DanoK
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:25:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Im not quite sure what that means.

How do I now check for updates on my cab as the checker here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html no longer works for me

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:30:36
Print Post

It means that Sky will have moved your phone to their own systems rather than BT's. So the BT system no longer has a record for that number.
Before they could not do that as that would stop your Be broadband working.
You could use the Address checker (linked from the same wholesale checker you have been using).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:31:25
Print Post

Click the address checker, or use a neighbours number that is connected to the same cabinet.

In theory the responsibility now lies with Sky for providing you the information on your line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:37:59
Print Post

you have 3 options use your post code or a bt phone number that is near you or phone sky and they can run the check for you.

if you ring 150 you should get though to sky or phone 17070 and you should get a woman that says hello my names zoe then you are on (SVBN) Sky Voice and Broadband Network this is skys own network
Standard User DanoK
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 20:00:30
Print Post

[re: fender1105] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for their help

phew! the post code checker is working and shows all the info the telephone number used to. I'll stick to using that from now on

Thanks again everyone smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Jan-13 00:22:44
Print Post

Use the full address checker, not just the postcode one.

That site warns you that the postcode one can be misleading. That's because a postcode can be served by several cabinets. The full address is also supposed to be dodgy, but we've not seen any reports of that getting it wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to