General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:31:52
Print Post

FTTC DLM Stuck

[link to this post]

I have a 2.2Km FTTC line with an attainable rate of around 9-11Mb. A few weeks ago there was an electrical fault causing the electric to trip once or twice a day. I knew this would affect the modem and now there is a sync of 2.1Mb with an SNR of 18.8dB. Is there any way to "reset" this without an engineer or how long will it take to fix itself. It has now been connected for 11 days without any interference.

Thanks,
Andrew.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:45:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC DLM Stuck

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

you might need another couple of weeks as has been a fair few reports of needing 4 weeks uptime.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:57:39
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. Guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer. Hope someday they make it a lot more efficient.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Jan-13 16:50:11
Print Post

I would guess its done this way to prevent flapping.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 19:41:37
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
you might need another couple of weeks as has been a fair few reports of needing 4 weeks uptime.

Maybe we can starti to build up a picture of how DLM returns to a normal state.
Banding seems to be removed, or adjusted for the better, in about 5 days (my connection jumped from an IP profile of 52Mbps to an IP profile of 75.05Mbps (so a connection just shy of maximum) after a solid 5 days up-time).
It's now been just under 18 days since then and I'm still waiting to see if the 80Mbps sync (which I've had since 80Mbps was rolled out) returns.
Not quite sure whether the missing few Mbps is due to interleaving (seems a little small for interleaving - I'd have expected a bigger drop) and pings are 14ms to bbc.co.uk or a tiny bit of banding which hasn't cleared yet.

I'm guessing if something's due to happen it will in the next 10 days (by the time it hits 28 days up-time).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 23:20:23
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

I had a line problem, where DLM intervened within 24 hours.

After the line was fixed (which was 3 days later), DLM took between 3 and 4 weeks to remove the intervention.

I don't have the exact details of speed loss & latency changes to hand though.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 23:50:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I had a line problem, where DLM intervened within 24 hours.

After the line was fixed (which was 3 days later), DLM took between 3 and 4 weeks to remove the intervention.

I don't have the exact details of speed loss & latency changes to hand though.

I had a similar issue at my last place and it took about the same amount of time to get back to where it was before the problem.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jan-13 05:02:52
Print Post

DLM is for most ,the enemy But even if it was taking 7days max before uncapping sync and switching to fastpath it would be to long ,and unnecessary if error rates had remained below the threshold for DLM a month is a joke, And so is the requirement for an engineer to have to visit the FFTC cab and manually reset DLM When a reset is required
BT openreach 1 step fowards and 3 steps back

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 25-Jan-13 05:04:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Jan-13 08:26:43
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
BT openreach 1 step fowards and 3 steps back
= ADSLMax

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 25-Jan-13 09:54:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Example of a download IP profile increase after fix of internal wiring on 28 July,
DLM just left to do its thing.

28 July / 48
7 Aug / 58
11 Aug / 71
very minor speed changes since then,.

(I had had other issues earlier but got an explicity DLM reset after these were fixed.)

DLM did decide to turn on around 8ms interleaving at some point to increase my bbc ping from 21 to 29.
Rest of the slow ping due to absurd BT internal routing Winchester->Sheffield->London.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
  Print Thread

Jump to