General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:48:02
Print Post

Local campaign to get exchange FTTC enabled ?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Myself and a friend are pondering on whether it will be worth trying to create a local campaign into generating local interest in getting people to register an interest for FTTC

We were looking at doing a website/ FB page with links to the Openreach website where people can register an interest in it, basically making it easier for people to find it.

We managed to bring the enable date for ADSL forward quite a bit working with BT Wholesale many moons ago with us even getting sent an XBOX by them to offer in a prize draw.

The difference was then however we had target number of registrations to work to. Now however, I guess they are picking exchanges with a high number of lines to get the best ROI

Anyone have any idea at what point they deem an exchange worth doing ? FYI, the exchange is circa 3k lines.

Any ideas or opinions on whether this would be worthwhile or not are welcome !

Many Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 23-Jan-13 14:36:54
Print Post

Re: Local campaign to get exchange FTTC enabled ?

[re: tikka69] [link to this post]

Does your local authority (council) have any plans under the BDUK scheme ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jan-13 15:01:10
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Also it is not so much the exchange this time, they can bypass the exchange completely and use another nearby.

Does your exchange offer WBC ADSL2+ already from BT Wholesale?

The big thing is how many green street cabinets serve the area, and you may find if a small village close to exchange that a few hundred lines have no cabinet, making commercial FTTC less likely.

Crossing any telco palm with real money will smooth things along though.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 23-Jan-13 15:09:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Does your local authority (council) have any plans under the BDUK scheme ?

Hi, thanks the for reply.

The problem here is my exchange ( Finningley ) lies in South Yorkshire and was originally planned to be done under the SYDR rollout, however due to its lack of uptake they removed 18 of the original 54 exchanges to be done, mine being one of them !

Seeing as though the 4 local councils ( mine being Doncaster ) have sunk god knows how much money into this I cant see them being willing to help fund BT now.

The best bit is I know all too well about SYDR as I used to work at Thales on the very project...... ( since moved on to a better place ).

To be honest I wish now all those years ago BT had won the contract because I reckon there is a good chance it would have been done by now. I will never happen under SYDR, that is for sure !!

Optically it could be served by Cantley exchange and the annoying thing is they have rolled out up to the next village with FTTC ( both SYDR and BT FTTC ), my cab being the next one along.......

Oh well.....
Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 23-Jan-13 15:12:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also it is not so much the exchange this time, they can bypass the exchange completely and use another nearby.

Does your exchange offer WBC ADSL2+ already from BT Wholesale?

The big thing is how many green street cabinets serve the area, and you may find if a small village close to exchange that a few hundred lines have no cabinet, making commercial FTTC less likely.

Crossing any telco palm with real money will smooth things along though.

Hi

Yes, our exchange is WBC ADLS2+ enabled already, does this make a difference ? Does it mean the necessary backhaul is already likely in place ?

From memory when I worked on SYDR there are only around 8 cabs on the exchange with circa 3k lines...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jan-13 15:34:53
Print Post

It removes the backhaul issue for the main wholesale provider at least

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jan-13 15:36:41
Print Post

In terms of council funding, BDUK is still backing SYDR, so an expansion of that in a year or two may be the funded route. Though SYDR is up for sale looking for a buyer at this time.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5659-villagers-by...

Is what one village did, but at the Parish council level they have been discussing this for a couple of years.

Standard User tikka69
(member) Wed 23-Jan-13 16:18:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In terms of council funding, BDUK is still backing SYDR, so an expansion of that in a year or two may be the funded route. Though SYDR is up for sale looking for a buyer at this time.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5659-villagers-by...

Is what one village did, but at the Parish council level they have been discussing this for a couple of years.

Hi

I would be very suprised if SYDR to increase there footprint any further to be honest.

Its has 2 apaprently "interested" parties one being BT anyway and another french company.

Given a decision was supposed to have been made months ago on who was talking it on and they still havent decided I cannot see anything being invested in the infrastructure any time soon.

Bad times.......
Standard User Djxinator
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:00:11
Print Post

I'm in Finno myself, and I have a good understanding of the SYDR service (I used to work for ASK4, a reseller and support team for the service)

With how slow our exchange has been to get upgraded over the years I don't think we have much of a chance.

A lot of money will have to be volunteered for it go forward, and as other folks have said, we have to wait for SYDR to move on to its next owner. If BT Take it on they will simply integrate it into their existing network and use the assets to move further into less populated areas around SY - Having BT buy it is probably our best bet.
Standard User tikka69
(member) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:25:40
Print Post

[re: Djxinator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Djxinator:
I'm in Finno myself, and I have a good understanding of the SYDR service (I used to work for ASK4, a reseller and support team for the service)

With how slow our exchange has been to get upgraded over the years I don't think we have much of a chance.

A lot of money will have to be volunteered for it go forward, and as other folks have said, we have to wait for SYDR to move on to its next owner. If BT Take it on they will simply integrate it into their existing network and use the assets to move further into less populated areas around SY - Having BT buy it is probably our best bet.

Hi,

I actually built the service for Ask 4 on SYDR. Worked at Thales for around 2.5 years. Got fed up and moved elsewhere last July but still have a lot of knowledge of whats going on............

So you could say I have a good understanding of it also. Aswell as most of the other VPLS/VPRN services on it that I designed / built.

Personally I cant see the attraction to BT as they have now dropped FTTC cabs alongside the majority of the SYDR cabinets......

I aint giving in though, website is on its way............
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to