General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:38:41
Print Post

Is A 60/20 Estimate Possible With A 500m Distance?

[link to this post]

I estimate the distance to my cabinet is approximately 500m. The BT line checker gives me an estimate of 60/20MB. Does that seem realistic/possible? TIA
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:44:26
Print Post

Re: Is A 60/20 Estimate Possible With A 500m Distance?

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

I'm about 450m from my cabinet; I get ~67Mbps on fastpath, ~61Mbps when interleaving goes on.

So it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:50:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Certainly does seem possible

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:32:07
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

My suspicion is that those speeds are for the first user in a cab... there were only around a dozen users on mine when I switched to 80/20, and even then I couldn't quite match those numbers frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:40:12
Print Post

There ought to be enough of us on here, who have enough "experience" of both "first line connected" and "increasing crosstalk", to put together a more comprehensive table/graph.

I would help, but I don't have a lot of time on here over the next couple of months...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:57:17
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how useful it would be- you'd also really need to know how far each user was from the cabinet (to get an average/spread), and the most important datum (number of connected users) isn't easy to find on a regular basis. OpenReach will presumably know, but I'm sure we've all tried getting information out of them frown

You'd also need to know whether each user was on 40Mbps or 80Mbps... eg I'm quite sure that if I dropped back to a 40/10 product my reaction would be "Crosstalk? What crosstalk?"

So you'd end up with two 4-dimensional tables, one for 40Mbps users, another for 80Mbps, each having:

Speed loss due to crosstalk
Distance from cabinet
No of connected users
Proportion of 80/40 users

Not easy tongue

Bill
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 23:36:22
Print Post

There's other variables to, relating to the cabling type, condition and position of your pair in the overall bundle. In practice, it's "suck it and see".

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 23:39:15
Print Post

I'm 450 meters from the cabinet, and my estimate was/is 57/20, but you can see what I'm getting below frown

Download is a bit higher now, and upload is lower.

General consensus is that most users seem to get higher than the estimate, but it may drop as cross talk increases.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Jan-13 00:22:32
Print Post

I'm 600m. See my sig.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Jan-13 00:24:32
Print Post

I personally think you wont get 20 upload, or at least it wont be sustained long term (before vectoring).

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to