General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:51:16
Print Post

Moving from 40/10 to 80/20

[link to this post]

Academic question really, I'm not that fussed, just intrigued.

I've had an FTTC service since Sept 2010. I'm 1km from the cabinet as the crow flies,
so I've been getting 29 Mb/s down, and 8 Mb/s up. When the BT bod installed the modem,
he said my sync speed was 33 Mb/s, which seems about right.

I've just migrated this week to a 80/20 product. Running a few speed tests on a variety of sites give me 33-34 Mb/s down, and 5.5 up.

I wasn't actually expecting any improvement downstream, and not sure why it should have increased at all, but why the upstream drop ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Jan-13 18:54:37
Print Post

Re: Moving from 40/10 to 80/20

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Changes may not be down to actual line changes, but a re-learning of the DLM settings for the line maybe.

Both products use the same VDSL2 profile 17a so in theory if getting under 40 Meg sync should really see no improvement.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 26-Jan-13 11:59:57
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadbandjockey:
I wasn't actually expecting any improvement downstream, and not sure why it should have increased at all, but why the upstream drop ?

It looks like you've gained downstream at the expense of upstream. I don't know why this would have happened, some have complained of the opposite effect when moving to a product with a higher maximum upload speed, i.e. they lose downstream speed because of the upload speed no longer being limited to 2Mbps or 10Mbps.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sat 26-Jan-13 13:19:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I can confirm that happened to my connection when testing a switch from 2Mb US to 10Mb via Plusnet.

It is probably only noticed as my connection is incapable of maxing out a 40/2 or 40/10 service, due to distance from the cabinet.

I gained around 3MB US & lost around 3Mb DS.

Switching back to 40/2 did indeed restore the slightly higher DS speeds.

Repeated switching provided similar results.
Standard User arg0naut
(newbie) Sat 26-Jan-13 14:40:53
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

After the long 5 yr wait for FTTC, its Imminent.
50Mb download
11Mb upload
is what the checker says I should get? I am around 550mtrs from cab.

Sorry, not hijacking this thread...
My question is based on this topic, if they are based on the same profile?
If I choose the 80/20, I am estimating something around the figures above.50/11
but if I choose 40/10, does it just halve the speed 25/5.5 or does it max at 40? for download?

Not sure how it goes, surely if its based on the same pofile it will be 40 download? or doesn't it work like that?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Jan-13 15:03:57
Print Post

[re: arg0naut] [link to this post]

It maxes the connection speeds to 40/10, so you should get approx 37/8 real speed after overheads.

Most 40/10 products have fairly low allowances by today's standards, though some have unlimited overnight - would you fit in?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User arg0naut
(newbie) Sat 26-Jan-13 15:17:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS

I currently sync at around 2/0.6, and get realworld of around 1.3, so anything upward of 10mb is going to be great.
Having said that we are a modern family, All the usual stuff.
I would like to have good ping rates for 1st person and a few other games. But otherwise its general surfing with the kids using Youtube and occasional sky download for the movies/iPlayer stuff.

Is it really going to make that much difference having that extra 10 down and 8 up.
I suppose its the flip a coin for unlimited or not.
Whats the current provider recommendations at the moment?

Cheers
Jason

Edited by arg0naut (Sat 26-Jan-13 15:23:00)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 26-Jan-13 15:32:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by arg0naut:
Whats the current provider recommendations at the moment?

Plusnet - but I would say that, wouldn't I?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sat 26-Jan-13 17:01:56
Print Post

ping rates are very variable on Infinity. Many see 6ms ping to bbc, but many others (including me) see around 29ms.

My 'extra' is mainly down to [1] interleaving, around 8ms and [2] silly routing Winchester->Sheffield->London; add 4/5ms for each hop s->n and n->s. I don't know how much that would vary with another ISP. The interleaving would be the same, as it depends on Openreach DLM.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sat 26-Jan-13 17:02:41)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Jan-13 17:16:06
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

it can vary even cycling PPP. BT have some unusual routing and on top of that there seems to be multiple paths taken even just pinging, doing a mtr back to my infinity connection from various places shows routing changes every second and this can course small jitter as the routing changes have variable latencies.

Depending on what routing I am taking my pings to bbc can be as low as 13ms or as high as 17ms.

I go from leics to peterborough then to london. .

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to