General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:44:39
Print Post

No FTTC, but will I be able to get FTTP?

[link to this post]

I've loitered on these forums for several months, but this is my first post (I hope its in the right place).

My situation is that my exchange is fibre-enabled, but OpenReach have informed me that my street cabinet is "not commercially viable" to be upgraded to FTTC. There is a BDUK project for my county, but they can't tell me whether situations like my own will be covered (I tend to feel that they will focus on rural areas rather than those like myself who live in a town).

So to my question... does anyone know whether FTTP is likely to become available to me? Or is FTTC a pre-requisite?

I work from home and would certainly be willing to pay a considerable sum to get full fibre. But am I just wasting my time hoping for this?

Thanks.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:53:12
Print Post

Re: No FTTC, but will I be able to get FTTP?

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

The yet-to-be-launched FTTP on demand service connects to fibre nodes which are part of the infrastructure feeding FTTC cabinets, if there's FTTC in your area (sounds like it) but not on your cab than I think FTTPoD is a possibility at least.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:05:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Yes, there is definitely FTTC at my exchange and indeed I've seen the new fibre cabinets around town. I'd really like to understand why OpenReach decided not to upgrade my cabinet, but they don't seem to want to reply. (They told me that it wasn't commercially viable, but won't provide any further information). My guess is that the factors involved are one or more of the following:
1. I'm actually quite close to the exchange and get a good ADSL speed. Therefore, perhaps there is likely to be a smaller take-up than elsewhere.
2. Although I'm on a main street through my town, this end of the street is residential with almost no businesses. Therefore, perhaps lower take-up.
3. My county has just announced a BDUK project with OpenReach. Therefore, perhaps less incentive for OR to invest their own money.
4. Possibly the cabinet doesn't feed many properties, but I don't really have any way to determine that.

Its a shame OpenReach won't provide me with their reasoning. I understand that they are a business and need to make money from their investment. But that also suggests that if they are concerned about uptake, I could impact their decision by garnering support from my neighbours. I'd like to feel that I had some way to influence their decisions, but in practice I don't think I do.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:24:15
Print Post

The Openreach superfast site does have an email address to submit interest - perhaps you could collect interest from neighbours and engage with them using that.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:26:00
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks. Certainly worth a try smile

Although, my difficulty is going to be working out who shares my street cabinet.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:27:48
Print Post

if you can find phone numbers the BT checker now tells you the cabinet number

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:29:41
Print Post

Which County?

The FTTP on demand needs a fibre aggregation node (bottom of page at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... this is installed as part of the FTTC roll-out and is usually near the street cabinet and its fibre twin.

If your cabinet has no fibre twin, then no aggregation node, so no FTTP on demand.

In theory you could be linked to another aggregation node, but that would involve the on demand product running even further distances, and as its £1500 for those at 0.5km, the costs would soon mount up,

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 11:38:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm in Gloucestershire.

I'm only about 250m from the exchange (as the crow flies) and about 500m by road. So I must be pretty close to some fibre!

I reckon I would be happy to pay £1500 for FTTP. But it seems no-one wants my money smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:04:27
Print Post

Just because your cabinet isn't done, doesn't mean there isn't a aggregation node nearby.

As long as your postcode is in the leaked December 2011 spreadsheet then it is pretty straightforward to find all the addresses on your cabinet, perhaps post your post code or Pm it to me and I or someone else will post all the post codes supplied by your cabinet, then I'll tell you how to turn that in to addresses and verify the cabinet number for those postcodes not supplied 100% by your cab.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:09:48
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Just because your cabinet isn't done, doesn't mean there isn't a aggregation node nearby.

While possibly correct, I suspect Openreach is not going to both with custom build cross links between areas, especially if that means a new bit of ducting, certainly would bump the price and might cause capacity issues further down the line.

As for BDUK there is a project and the contract was just signed before Christmas
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5631-bt-brings-20...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to