General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:41:38
Print Post

Totally Confused

[link to this post]

Hi all,

One of my propertys is 120 metres from an exchange and so gets 21-22mbps down over LLU but what bugs me is this.

According to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and also samknow the exchange has fibre. yet none of the propetys around it can get it?

Is this usual? ( according to net data it's been like this for about a year or so)
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:52:56
Print Post

Re: Totally Confused

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Maybe you are on a line running directly into the exchange and not via a PCP?

In my local area fortunately for the houses right by the exchange there is a green cabinet sitting right next to the exchange, so they managed to get FTTC

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:52:57
Print Post

For FTTC, your line must connect via a PCP (cabinet) rather than being direct to the exchange ('exchange only' line) and the PCP you are connected to must have a FTTC cabinet connected to it with a spare port.

The exchange being enabled is not enough - your cabinet must be enabled.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:59:19
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I must admit I have not been there for a few years and looked. I will be going there soon and will walk about then.

I am aware you need cabinets etc. I have a friend who has this and he is on ADSL2 waiting for FTTP which has been told is coming but I also know someone on another exchange in the same town who is on fibre and his line is a direct connect. I know this for a fact because it's a house I used to live in and own.

But thanks for the comment, it didn't dawn on me that might be the case. Oh well the new tennant can still get full pelt and max under annex M where they are.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:25:10
Print Post

Exchange Only lines and getting FTTC are rare unless you live in a few parts of Cornwall or possibly North Yorkshire. Outside that so rare I stand as much chance winning £10,000 by popping out to buy a scratchcard.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php if the exchange was announced by December 2011, that link will give a break down for the postcode.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:59:55
Print Post

It might also be worth noting that being close to the exchange doesn't mean OpenReach will decide to upgrade the cabinets. I am about 250m from my exchange and have been told that my cabinet will not be upgraded. I have also noted that many (maybe all) the properties between me and the exchange also have no access to fibre.

My guess (unsubstantiated) is that because we are close to the exchange and get good ADSL speed, OpenReach may decide that the takeup for fibre will be lower than areas further away with poor speed at the moment.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 18:37:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link Andrew,

It gave probabilty at 85%

Oh well. to be fair I'm going to throw a SKY LLU link in with the rent. They can get 21 down. (I recall the last tennant for that with o2) and that will have to do.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 18:38:22
Print Post

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

Ah right - thanks. I guess you are right as it makes perfect sense.

I have been told I can hook up to digital region as it's in south yorkshire but I would need a new line conected to my cab to do it. so that's an option but as per my other post. Rather just put a LLU line in.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:04:38
Print Post

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrFied:
My guess (unsubstantiated) is that because we are close to the exchange and get good ADSL speed, OpenReach may decide that the takeup for fibre will be lower than areas further away with poor speed at the moment.

Pot luck really. In my town we have a row of houses directly opposite the telephone exchange, connected to a cabinet, fibre available. I'd be very surprised if they didn't get at or near 24 meg on ADSL2+.

Oliver.
Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:38:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Why is it so rare for exchange lines to be FTTC enabled? Can't equipment just be installed in the exchange for the exchange lines?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to