General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TTEnt
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 13:56:33
Print Post

Options on deferred Cabinet?

[link to this post]

What options are now open to getting a cabinet connected.
Emailed openreach with following enquiry

I am enquiring as to what is happening in regards to upgrading Cabinet 40, on the Newton Abbot Exchange.
As most of the cabinets on the Newton Abbot exchange seems to be in and live, yet this one is not even installed yet and has had it's estimated activation date put back from Sep 2012 to Dec 2012 and is now showing March 2013, which i don't believe will be met as not installed yet.

Got the following reply back

The rollout is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet. Initially Newton Abbot cabinet 40 to which your line is connected was included. Unfortunately difficulties over the cabinet site and associated duct issues have led to this being deferred out of the programme.

So is it a case of wait for BDUK funding or what.

Initially was supposed to of been sited in a Conservation area, and got turned down, new site was supposed to of been found but presumably not agreed with LandOwner.

see Planning Application for planning application and Map for GoogleMap showing Cabinet Location, if you rotate through 180 Degrees, then new site supposed to be on Grass Verge by the Blue Peugeot.

Most people on this cabinet get an ADSL2+ speed range of between 1-4.5/5 Mbps, on Fibre estimates range from 17-80 Mbps obviously depending on how far from cabinet they are, so they would love the extra speed. The other two cabinets in my village are done and live and with people connected to them, so would like to try and get the old part of the village upto a decent speed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 14:08:58
Print Post

Re: Options on deferred Cabinet?

[re: TTEnt] [link to this post]

A lot depends on how much money the landover wants, wayleave aggrements usually mean paying to use that bit of land.

Deferred sounds like still within the realms of consideration as oppossed to being removed from the list.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 30-Jan-13 15:45:56
Print Post

I believe the laws changing and later in the year BT won't need planning permission for conservation areas, so might be worth researching that.

Also find out who owns the land and talk to them, also talk to the council, would it really be that bad having another green cabinet in the middle?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User garethr
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-13 23:46:25
Print Post

Hi,

An associate of mine has been in discussions with the gentleman named in that application. He was actually very professional, helpful and honest with us.

Please don't presume the location of cabinets is simple. From our experience dealing with planning permission problems (not that we have many cabs which are subject to planning permission) the constraints are considerable.

The rule of thumb is that all cabinets will be located on highway. BT appear to not be interested in getting involved in the compilations of wayleaves. Even with leased lines waylaves are tricky.

Hopefully, once the rules change BT will re-task their subcontractors to get the job done.

BTW I think the council response is totally retarded. The proposed location of the cabinet is obvious it is next to the other cab, a telegraph pole and and power source. Placement is critical as power and copper need to be run seperatley to stop interference.

What further justification did the council anticipate having? Can I also point out that the other site is NOT suitable for health and safety reason. A cab will generally not be located with the door facing towards the carriageway to ensure that engineers working on the cab are not working with their back to traffic. All cabs seem to point away from traffic with sufficient space for the cab to open and for the engineer to work. Parking of the OR mans wheels is also taken into consideration - because OR do plan to visit.

I've seen worse problems smile All the best.

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User mabibby
(regular) Thu 31-Jan-13 00:36:50
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

On a slightly lighter note, my assumption is that there is purely a lot of local council politics.

In brief, if a planning officer accepts and fails to refuse anything, then surely his role is rendered somewhat worthless? You'd hope that they would make their decisions based on the greater good/benefit of the community/country as a whole, but generally as with any organisation, decisions are made purely on organisational culture and in the personal interest of those involved.

Matt

Sky Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 31-Jan-13 08:50:44
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by garethr:
Can I also point out that the other site is NOT suitable for health and safety reason. A cab will generally not be located with the door facing towards the carriageway to ensure that engineers working on the cab are not working with their back to traffic
Nearly every one, PCPs and FTTC cabs, face the carriageway.
All cabs seem to point away from traffic with sufficient space for the cab to open and for the engineer to work.
As above.
Parking of the OR mans wheels is also taken into consideration - because OR do plan to visit.
Tripe. Once the FTTC cabinet is installed the visits to it will be extremely rare indeed. All user connections are made at the existing PCP. Whichever way that one's doors open. Maybe the planning people don't know that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:13:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Round my way pretty much all the cabinets face the road. There's one that doesn't and that's because the owner of the property it's outside of didn't want it placed against the boundary wall.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 31-Jan-13 11:07:15
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

If they are placed adjacent to the kerb they will need to face the doors towards the footpath for obvious reasons.
The fibre cabs should be attended at regular intervals for inspection, not including repairing of faulty ports, installing or transferring of Cards between cabs and other growth related works.
Standard User garethr
(learned) Thu 31-Jan-13 22:50:38
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

My point is correct but maybe I wasn't very clear.

When the cab is very close to the highway it will face away. Where I live we generally have grass between the road and the path. So in most cases they face the cab away from the road with the back of the cab nearly on the curb.

In the above example the cab faces away because of how close it is to the road. The alternative location would be unsuitable as it doesn't allow sufficient space and access would require cones etc etc.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User TTEnt
(learned) Tue 09-Sep-14 12:36:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Am resurrecting this Thread, as still no nearer to getting cabinet in. And this comes up at every Parish Council Meeting, so would like to know what options are available. Info as i currently understand it.
Cabinet is number 40 on Newton Abbot Exchange, covering the old part of East Ogwell.
BT Wholesale checker say availbale DEC 2014, but this I believe is just a marker date as original date was about SEP 2012 and has slipped every time.
BT where and when site says in an Enabled area

Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you canít place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later.

Cabinet I believe will now be placed on the Green next to existing Cabinet as wayleave has already been paid to Parish Council.

Problem seems to be that they cannot get the Fibre to cabinet without digging up a large section of the road and therefore incurring massive costs, which makes it commercially unvialble according to BT.

Therefore the question is what recourse is there to BDUK funding on the basis that it was down to be done under the commercil roll out and now seems likely not to be done. Or do they have to wait for a second round of funding to be done to get it done.

quite a few postcodes covered by this cabinet one being TQ12 6AW and possibly about 200 houses.
Details for an address on postcode TQ12 6AW

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 66.8 20 20 -- 31-Dec-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 54 20 18.2 -- 31-Dec-14

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-Dec-14
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

So if anyone can get a straight answer from either Openreach or Connecting DevonandSomerset as to what is happening or cwhat the options might be everyone would be eternally grateful. Especially as Ipplepen exchange is getting done and is due to go live around October, so that part og Ogwell will be surrounded by FTTC enabled areas, so will leave a big black hole in the middle.
  Print Thread

Jump to