General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dash
(regular) Wed 30-Jan-13 16:01:23
Print Post

Openreach modem BBU

[link to this post]

I know there has been some hacking of the BBU port on the openreach modem as a RS232 port - does anybody know anything about connecting it up as a battery backup?

I have a UPS, but all my kit is nowhere near my master socket, and I don't want to run two UPSes, so getting the BBU port connected up would be quite good for me (dodgy rural electricity).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 19:01:59
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem BBU

[re: Dash] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dash:
I know there has been some hacking of the BBU port on the openreach modem as a RS232 port
?
Where did you get that from? The only hacking I know about is to remove the lock-down of the firmware, so allowing us to get the stats, and/or use it as a single-port (ethernet) router, and variations around the detail of that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Jan-13 19:30:40
Print Post

Rumour has it, that the BBU can be powered up via USB, how this helps in your set up, pass !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 19:41:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dash:
... but all my kit is nowhere near my master socket ....
Are you aware a "Home Wiring Solution" (which was originally called a Data Extension Cable) is available free. Some ISPs order it for you automatically in case it is needed. The others you have to request it when you order.

If that is ordered the engineer can site the modem up to 30 metres from the master socket, and most of them will also use it to move the master socket if you would prefer that. The cabling can be internal or external to the building.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Dash
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 16:54:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The details on using it as a RS232 serial console are here:
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/a...
Standard User Dash
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 16:57:31
Print Post

I have already tried this by extending the DSL output from the master socket down structural CAT5e to where all my kit is - just I've noticed a significant drop in performance when using this.

I guess this is down to interference from something somewhere - which is why I'm not exploring the BBU option.

I hear that FTTP will have to have BBU enabled as it's likely to be driving the telephone too so it needs to work in a power-outage. So I assume there is a way of getting this working - just I don't know how.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 18:14:35
Print Post

Unless I'm reading that wrong, he didn't get it to work, at least in any usable form.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User Dash
(regular) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:26:27
Print Post

Well that's as maybe, I'm not interested in RS232 connection, just the BBU functionality smile
  Print Thread

Jump to