General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dgilbert2
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 17:24:24
Print Post

Home Plugs lowering SNR margin

[link to this post]

I have discovered that when using the BT supplied Home Plugs that when a device is attached to them and downloading a file that the SNR margin drops from around 5.5 to 3.5 on my unlocked HG612. As soon as the download stops, the SNR goes back up again.

Have tried all kinds of different physical setups (cables types, proximity to HG612, different power points, etc etc) but it makes no difference.

Anyone come across this and found a solution other than replacing them with a length of cat5 cable instead!?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 01-Feb-13 17:38:08
Print Post

Re: Home Plugs lowering SNR margin

[re: dgilbert2] [link to this post]

not surprised, they operate in similar (same ?) frequencies and mains wiring isn't exactly twisted pair and shielded as the amateur radio community are keen to point out.

Don't know if ferrites on the router power cable would help

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Feb-13 17:58:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I think the jump to profile 17a has meant that there can be conflicts now, have not had FTTC available to me to actually play and assess the impact.

It may be a case of people having to balance the pro and con, but Ethernet is still the king and still cheaper.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 18:06:10
Print Post

If it really is caused by the HomePlug signal causing interference on the modem, you could try using an RF filter like the Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner. I've seen suggestions that this suppresses the HomePlug signal pretty effectively, so could be a solution.
Standard User Lorian
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 19:18:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Ferrites didn't help in my case, I had lots of issues until I replaced the Homeplugs with cat5,
Standard User Lorian
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 19:19:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Impact on mine was about 4Mb/s, and I'm > 1Km from the cab, so a big impact.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 22:53:36
Print Post

[re: Lorian] [link to this post]

I must do some measuring - however the power for my Modems and routers (as well as the computers and screen) is supplied via a UPS - so that may filter out the effect of the Powerline signal.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-13 00:54:48
Print Post

I only saw a 0.1dB drop in SNR margin when I was downloading. I'm using Solwise NET-PL-500AV plugs and the one downstairs is right next to the master socket with the modem a couple of feet above.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-13 03:05:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I still dont understand why people to go all measures to avoid using ethernet cables. to the OP spend a few £ get some long cable and install it.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 02-Feb-13 08:32:22
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
I must do some measuring - however the power for my Modems and routers (as well as the computers and screen) is supplied via a UPS - so that may filter out the effect of the Powerline signal.

Depends on what type of UPS you have.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to