General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User roynewling
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:33:03
Print Post

twin power socket by phone socket

[link to this post]

I think I need to have a twin power socket next to my incoming phone socket .I have an extension phone socket which could have a twin socket next to it, would this be alright.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:54:35
Print Post

Re: twin power socket by phone socket

[re: roynewling] [link to this post]

It depends what quality cable connects the extension socket to the master socket. With normal telephone extension cable the answer is no.

But the modem and your router do not need to be close together. They are connected using standard ethernet cable, with a maximum distance of 100 metres.

The basic setup is with the FTTC modem connected to the master, which has an interstitial faceplate fitted to filter the phone and VDSL2 signals, using just the short VDSL cable supplied. See this pic.

There is a "Home Wiring Solution" (also called a Data Extension Cable) that you can order at the time you order FTTC. Some ISPs order it for you automatically just in case it is needed, others don't.

With that cable, (instead of normal stuff), the engineer can site the modem up to 30 metres (internally or externally) from the master socket and install a socket for the modem to connect to. But that means him fitting that cable at installation time and you might not like the look of the result.

Alternatively, using the same new cable, he can move the master socket to a more convenient place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:55:07
Print Post

[re: roynewling] [link to this post]

a 2 or 3 way adapter will suffice, the power demand is small but two boxes need two sockets

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:07:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Demonstrated by:-

Our third bedroom has one power socket, near the door. Into this is plugged a two-way adapter. One socket of that is used for the vacuum cleaner for the landing and sometimes the other two bedrooms. The other has a trailing lead plugged into it going round the walls to the diagonally opposite corner, ending in a 4-socket strip. Two more 4-socket strips are daisy-chained off that.

Connected and permanently powered up are the DECT phone base station, the modem, and the router. Also permanently connected are an All-in-One HP inkjet printer (usually on), a 500GB network disc with the printer connected to it - also usually on, and a shredder.

Occasionally connected are the second laptop, and also occasionally this laptop which is normally downstairs. When this laptop is used up there all except the shredder are likely to be powered up and in use.

The setup has been like this for years with no problems.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to