General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:32:42
Print Post

FTTPoD and FTTC Into Same Premises

[link to this post]

I've seen on an Openreach video that they wouldn't deliver FTTP and FTTC to the same premises.

Would this apply to FTTP on Demand and FTTC if they were paired to different phone lines I wonder?

If it would anyone had any experience with getting a '21a Anywhere Road' type address in place? Is it a non-trivial exercise?

Basically what I want to do is have a consumer FTTC service and an FTTP service into a property, the consumer FTTC to serve for residential usage and the FTTP for my home office.

Both will be connected to the same router, which will actually be a Dell PowerEdge server running VSphere with a router OS on one of the VMs bridged to 2 x 2 port Intel Gigabit Ethernet NICs - easily capable of handling the internet connections.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:36:04
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD and FTTC Into Same Premises

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Should technically be possible

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:50:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Should technically be possible

Technically yes, definitely, but it's all about the policy!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Feb-13 21:41:47
Print Post

As a fairly irrelevant point there wouldn't be the existing FTTC and FTTP deployment types available at the same premises at the standard prices. FTTPoD is a different kettle of fish.

I don't see how there could be any problem at all supplying one to No. 21 and the other to No. 21A. I can't see any logical objection from Openreach to delivering both to No. 21 anyway. Or is that what the video was about? Just a curmudgeon rule?

Given the cancellation periods for each, whatever the FTTPoD time turns out to be, it should be possible to just go for it and see what happens.

What we don't know are the requirements of the target system in business/technical terms rather than supplier policy. These could influence the way it is approached and the financial risk strategy adopted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 23:40:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
rather than supplier policy

It'll be interesting to see how supplier policy applies when there could well be 2 separate suppliers for the services.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 03-Feb-13 06:24:20
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

could be two different customers too, many businesses put dedicated phone lines into home workers houses to provide business broadband, irrespective of what the householder has or does.

I can see why OR would like to be shot of the copper maintenance etc if they've invested in fibre to a property.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 12:36:42
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
could be two different customers too, many businesses put dedicated phone lines into home workers houses to provide business broadband, irrespective of what the householder has or does.

I can see why OR would like to be shot of the copper maintenance etc if they've invested in fibre to a property.

Very true - some businesses put leased lines in.

In this case however I would be putting the FTTPoD in on my own back and claiming everything back on expenses.

The issue really is getting that '18a' into the BT address / premises database which is no doubt pulled from the post office database.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:27:26
Print Post

To be honest we are more than a decade away before worrying about copper recovery.

Unless it is a provider like sky with one account per property policy dont see any problems

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:35:37
Print Post

Are you not just reading more into the video than it actually means, it makes sense that they would not supply both FTTC & FTTP to the same area, let alone the same property, as they can't. An area is either FTTP or FTTC, one or the other.

But FTTPod is designed to be supplied in FTTC area's so I doubt there would be any problem supplying both to the same property in an FTTC area.

Hope that makes sense.

(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 23:23:00
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Are you not just reading more into the video than it actually means, it makes sense that they would not supply both FTTC & FTTP to the same area, let alone the same property, as they can't. An area is either FTTP or FTTC, one or the other.

But FTTPod is designed to be supplied in FTTC area's so I doubt there would be any problem supplying both to the same property in an FTTC area.

Hope that makes sense.

My first post made no assertions!

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Would this apply to FTTP on Demand and FTTC if they were paired to different phone lines I wonder?

If it would anyone had any experience with getting a '21a Anywhere Road' type address in place? Is it a non-trivial exercise?

I guess we'll see how it goes when it comes to ordering time in a few months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to