General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 15:59:54
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC unlimited

[link to this post]

Im considering migrating to FTTC (from adsl) which has now been on stream from my cabinet for a few months. Since the FTTC cabinet has been enabled, my adsl connection has teneded to be more stable (recent connection didnt drop for over 500 hours! although in the last 2 days, has dropped twice in 48 hours! GRRRRRR!).

Now it might just be a coincidence and even the phone line has less crackling on it.

Anyway, Plusnet are doing a very good deal right now (unlimited FTTC for under a tenner for the first 6 months) so, what are people's impression on Plusnet FTTC unlimited? Good, bad, indifferent?

All views gratefully received.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 17:49:34
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC unlimited

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wobblyheed:
Anyway, Plusnet are doing a very good deal right now (unlimited FTTC for under a tenner for the first 6 months) so, what are people's impression on Plusnet FTTC unlimited? Good, bad, indifferent?

Good. Next question?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 17:57:06
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hardly a rounding endorsement!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:01:53
Print Post

Well what am I supposed to say? It works, it's fast, it's cheap, support is great and I've had no problems at all.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:20:53
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Well how about reliability? Is it stable, do they deliver the speed via FTTC that they claim when they are testing your line before you sign up etc, etc?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:26:02
Print Post

In my case, yes and yes.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:32:39
Print Post

Now it might just be a coincidence and even the phone line has less crackling on it.
Depending on what is causing the phone to crackle, that could destroy FTTC/VDSL2 rather than just causing your ADSL dropouts. Or it may disappear like mine did, because it was the exchange side of the cabinet not my side.

You ought to get it fixed.

Does your phone master socket have a removable bottom half, as in this pic? If so, find a corded phone, (cheap from many places if you haven't got one), and plug it into the test socket - the one on the wall at the back in the pic.

Dial 17070 and take Option 2. If there is noise, you have a voice fault. If that is fixed your broadband stability will improve.

There could be a problem in timing though. I forget when the Plusnet offer expires, I think it is soon. You would need to check if you could order from Plusnet even if there is a line fault report in Openreach's system from your line rental company.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:40:06
Print Post

Well how about reliability? Is it stable, do they deliver the speed via FTTC that they claim when they are testing your line before you sign up etc, etc?
There is a dodgy bit in the estimated figure, in that there is no way it can be within 1Mbps as it says! However, it is generally a reasonable estimate. If you use this checker you may get a range.

Re everything else, I don't download much, but I joined in Feb 2012 on the 40/2 product, went onto the 80/20 250GB one in October, and upgraded to the Unlimited one just for the sake of it as soon as I could after it was announced. That last move, eleven months into my contract, restarted my 18 months.

I think that shows I'm confident about it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:40:08
Print Post

As with ADSL, the FTTC speed quoted at sign-up is a best estimate, not a guarantee. Most people find these estimates are pessimistic and their speeds are higher, though the speeds can drop back towards the estimate over time because of increasing crosstalk when more people subscribe to FTTC on that cabinet. In some cases, the speed is lower than estimated.

No FTTC ISP can guarantee you will receive the estimated speed.

Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:45:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Depending on what is causing the phone to crackle, that could destroy FTTC/VDSL2 rather than just causing your ADSL dropouts. Or it may disappear like mine did, because it was the exchange side of the cabinet not my side.

You ought to get it fixed.

Does your phone master socket have a removable bottom half, as in this pic? If so, find a corded phone, (cheap from many places if you haven't got one), and plug it into the test socket - the one on the wall at the back in the pic.

Dial 17070 and take Option 2. If there is noise, you have a voice fault. If that is fixed your broadband stability will improve.

There could be a problem in timing though. I forget when the Plusnet offer expires, I think it is soon. You would need to check if you could order from Plusnet even if there is a line fault report in Openreach's system from your line rental company.

Hi mate.

Been through all the tests with BT etc time and time again before the FTTC cabinet was enabled and the line was poor, constantly dropped connection etc, etc.

BT always said no fault even after an engineer's visit and they tried to charge me.

Due to the improved reliability and lot less crackle on the line, Im convinced there some connection with the FTTC cabinet. Nothing scientific or concrete but the slight improvement is there.

However, Im looking at FTTC now since BT \ Plusnet both say my speed would go upto 52meg while sky only deliver 38meg.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to