General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Mon 04-Feb-13 19:26:59
Print Post

BT home Infinity at a work address?

[link to this post]

I'm a small business and have been at my work address (we rent office space) for almost 6 years. We've had a single BT phone line in that time. It's a business account line. We have FTTC via a third party supplier (fast.co.uk) who don't discriminate between home and business customers. I would like to explore the possibility of switching to BT Infinity but it looks like their home packages are much more attractive than their business ones. I don't need a fixed IP address or the 'extra' support provided for business customers. But will BT play ball? Has anyone else here any experience regarding ordering home products for business addresses?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 20:18:27
Print Post

Re: BT home Infinity at a work address?

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

The terms & conditions for BT Infinity say...

You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:25:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yarwell,

Do you know if that applies to 'home working' as well? I would imagine a lot of people work from home at least some of the time. Does that mean they can't use a Home Infinity package? Or do BT not consider that a 'commercial or business purpose'?

Thanks for any insight!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:29:28
Print Post

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

that would be one for a Court to decide I guess. "any commercial or business purpose whatsoever" is a fairly robust expression but in the end it's down to interpretation.

I doubt anyone would get hassle for homeworking, but hosting the UK equivalent of megaupload on Infinity may not be acceptable. Running a business from home, or from an office using a residential connection, is the sort of thing it's aimed at, not an employee working from home. But that's just my opinion.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-13 00:11:23
Print Post

The only caveat is if you are using a residential service for home working is the potential downtime if there is a problem. With a business service it's usually up to a 4 hour response but for residential services it's up to 72 hours depending on the ISP.
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:18:32
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Hmmm.... I'm currently with TTB and recently had a problem that caused me to lose my ADSL connection for hours at a time. It took them over a month to sort this out despite me telling them that the problem must be in the exchange right from the beginning. I didn't even get any compensation. I don't really know what I am getting for my 'business' line frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:23:45
Print Post

"Stuffed"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:48:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
"Stuffed"?

Like a turkey - LOL! It was a long shot I suppose. But BT ought to be aware that there are quite a few small businesses like us who baulk at their business tariffs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:48:29
Print Post

As always it is read the contract and find out if the business service is really just the consumer service with invoicing or carries a meaningful SLA or at least automatic compensation for downtime.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:05:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
that would be one for a Court to decide I guess. "any commercial or business purpose whatsoever" is a fairly robust expression but in the end it's down to interpretation.

I doubt anyone would get hassle for homeworking, but hosting the UK equivalent of megaupload on Infinity may not be acceptable. Running a business from home, or from an office using a residential connection, is the sort of thing it's aimed at, not an employee working from home. But that's just my opinion.

The general rule run by here is that if it's your place of work, as in there's no business premise where you would be nominally based, it's commercial or business purposes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to