General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:03:45
Print Post

Cab change from FTTC to FTTP

[link to this post]

Yeah yeah. I know I sound like a mentalist. This is a bit outside the box and then some.

Just got confirmation of sorts that some brownfield (you would presume where FTTC) on a FTTC Exchange are having FTTP installed.

Stranger still an area with an already installed (power+fibre) ECI cab has been deferred to Dec 2013. The area is a bit strange as its one estates split into two with some old houses in the middle. The houses in the middle are on a cab from a nearby village and have been live for a few weeks. The north and south parts of the estate are FTTP capable (fully ducted). The north already has aforementioned not live yet cab. The south is getting FTTP with deployment starting in the next few weeks.

As mental as it sounds does anyone think BT will remove the cab considering it can't possibly support the number of properties in he area. BT appeareded to try putting a second cab in but then withdrew the street works request.

Is there a precedent for this occurring - there has been some strange **** occurring with cab deployment on the SMWS Exchanage. The concept of viability has gone out the window.

Anyone got any ideas what the hell is going on? BT strategic shift? Done all the C now moving to P?

Regards,

Gareth
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:00
Print Post

Re: Cab change from FTTC to FTTP

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

The P rollout has been waiting on the completion of the bulk of the FTTC across the country.

As for BT removing a FTTC cabinet once live, as some providers do not offer a FTTP service it would mean people losing service and thus require something like a 3 year notice period so in short not going to happen.

In areas where lines are connected to cabinet with a FTTC twin, if capacity is reached a second FTTC cab is added.

IMPORTANT: The 1200 exchanges that offer the openreach fibre products are all capable of offering both FTTC and FTTP, it is down to what they have decided commercially to deploy in a specific area/cab foot print, and with fibre backhaul for FTTP and FTTC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garethr
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:13:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

The cab isn't live. But we are dam sure connect as I have pictures of the engineer spicing the fibre. Power was also done.

Very odd.

Regards,

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User garethr
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:30:50
Print Post

Been asked by BT to stop asking engineers and speculating as they are both unreliable sources of information.. smile

That's me told.

I wish I was making this up. I'm really not.

Regards,

Gareth
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:37:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by garethr:
Been asked by BT to stop asking engineers and speculating as they are both unreliable sources of information.. smile

That's me told.
smile

Personally I'd say that the best way to stop unreliable speculation is to trump it with reliable information...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garethr
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:41:03
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've had that argument with at least two BT execs and it was a waste of breath then and probably is now.

Would be nice to know.

Regards,

Gareth
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 06-Feb-13 20:53:38
Print Post

Then in that case, provided you don't give the impression that it's reliable information, I don't see that they're in any position to complain about speculation.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to