General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 20:48:16
Print Post

Bridgeton - Glasgow - Cabinet Map

[link to this post]

Full Map Of Cabinets - http://goo.gl/maps/az6aJ - Made using BT's 2011 document for live cabinets and scatter gun approach on dsl checker to find where other cabinets.

Done this purely as a favour for a friend who is living near the new Commonwealth Games Athlete Village which is currently in the middle of construction. These houses should be finished in December 2013 and they are listed on Openreach's site for FTTP - http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-... -

Looking at bridgeton, this exchange went live for FTTC around June 2010.

Currently there are 41 activated cabinets out of a total of 107 (thats the highest cabinet number I can find on this exchange), with 1 more cabinet due to go live at the end of March. That means only 40% of cabinets in that exchange are going to be FTTC.

I guess what Im trying to find out is when Cabinet 74 is going to go live as this is a reasonably new estate with about 400 dwellings and its right next to this brand new athletes village.

Would BT delay works to surrounding cabinets near the new athlete village maybe to finish installing the FTTH to these 700 houses before continuing on with cabinets nearby?
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Wed 13-Feb-13 20:14:12
Print Post

Re: Bridgeton - Glasgow - Cabinet Map

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Hi hippyharry, good to see this. As it happens, I just checked with Openreach about this a couple of weeks ago. At work we're on cabinet 8. They say no plans at all to fibre this up.
I'm assuming the blue flags are cabinets enabled, and the red ones are not ?
Actually the green ones annoy me a bit. That covers the whole Athletes Village area for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Those people ought to be out there doing active sporty things - not inside their athletes' flats on Facebook or Xbox or whatever. There's loads of businesses in the area that could use fibre but are denied it.
Can't answer your specific question, but it is certainly the case that BT are enabling cabinets which serve residential premises, and not doing those which have a higher proportion of business connections.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 13-Feb-13 22:35:46
Print Post

When a exchange is enabled for FTTC it will have multiple waves of cabinets being enabled, the inital batch will be done and ones delayed will go live in the weeks/months after the exchange starts accepting orders.
Following on from this, cabinets not initially planned are reviewed and can be added to the rollout, alot of new build estates get added via this review as usually their are not finished or populated when the first survey goes round.

Glasgow has alot of exchanges that are either CS or FE, so the teams will be spread all over the city and further afield, it could be that your estate is further down the list to be enabled and will have to wait its turn.
Your estate and the athletes village is it the same developer, if so you should email them and ask if they are working with Openreach to deploy FTTC to the estate- if not the same developer still email them and ask.

clyde123
The deployment is mainly residential, cabinets that serve business areas usually have low line counts and will mainly be leased line's which are profitable- you dont eat into your own business.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Wed 13-Feb-13 22:36:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:30:57
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

Hey Clyde.

Yeah, the legend for the map is:

BLUE - Cabinet activated for FTTC
RED - Not activated and no date listed for when it will be switched over.
GREEN - The entire new Athlete's village where they are getting FTTH.
FLAME - There is one exchange I can see in there being activated for the end of March.

Looking at Scottish Roadworks, there is work happening down near Dalmarnock Court - Cabinet 13 in around a month or so by BT, and then there is also work being carried out up in the Shettleston exchange.

I know the roll out was done in partnership with Clyde Gateway, so I wonder if they have a say in it all as well?
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:37:35
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Ccxo,

There is two developers in that area. CCG / Cruden / Taggert Mickel are the ones who are doing a joint venture in building the athletes village. The housing estate around the corner is being built by Kier Construction.

I had mentioned to clyde above that (in that you are right), I found a lot of BT works listed on the scottish roadworks for the shettleston exchange. As cabinet's 74 and 34 lie quite close to the shettleston boundary, it might be the case that as all the shettlestons cabinets in that area might get done close to the same time as those on London Road.
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Thu 14-Feb-13 21:03:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by hippyharry:
I know the roll out was done in partnership with Clyde Gateway, so I wonder if they have a say in it all as well?
[/quote

Yes definitely Clyde Gateway have a huge finger in that pie.

Tell you one thing that really amazed me : further out London Road, there is a new industrial estate being built on the right, after the cemetery. That's Clyde Gateway involved there. Even after all the talk I've heard from them about getting Bridgeton to be a major on-line area, there is not fibre going in there. It would be a perfect opportunity - new estate, all the services new, they could have cabled up every unit for the fastest possible connections. Now that would have been a major marketing ploy.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 21:17:18
Print Post

Cabinet 74 - make as much noise as you can about it. You might find that when BT last did a database dump of premises that are passed by the cabinet it didn't include some of the newer build.

The nga.enquiries email address, perhaps the chief executive, along with your local government are a good place to start.

Good luck - I dealt with a similar situation and got a good a result in the end, and while I can't guarantee that you will it's all about persistence, politeness, and disruption.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 08:55:12
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Yes definitely Clyde Gateway have a huge finger in that pie.

Tell you one thing that really amazed me : further out London Road, there is a new industrial estate being built on the right, after the cemetery. That's Clyde Gateway involved there. Even after all the talk I've heard from them about getting Bridgeton to be a major on-line area, there is not fibre going in there. It would be a perfect opportunity - new estate, all the services new, they could have cabled up every unit for the fastest possible connections. Now that would have been a major marketing ploy.

That industrial estate, if Im not mistaken actually comes under the Shettleston exchange area. When you drive down London road, you cross over Tollcross Burn. Everything on the east side of that burn goes to Shettleston whilst on the West goes to Bridgeton.

With Shettleston going live sometime this year, its a good chance they'll have fibre rolled in maybe?

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Cabinet 74 - make as much noise as you can about it. You might find that when BT last did a database dump of premises that are passed by the cabinet it didn't include some of the newer build.

The nga.enquiries email address, perhaps the chief executive, along with your local government are a good place to start.

Good luck - I dealt with a similar situation and got a good a result in the end, and while I can't guarantee that you will it's all about persistence, politeness, and disruption.

Brilliant advice Ignitionnet. I think the best thing he can do is to watch for any signs of roadworks appearing soon. Theres a lot of road works all happening around that area due to the village going up, so maybe we'll monitor it over the next few weeks. Im sure BT's database knows about the new builds as I can insert future addresses for houses that havent been built into their database and it knows it exists (but then again, the Royal Mail postcode checker doesnt show these future houses just yet).

Edited by hippyharry (Fri 15-Feb-13 09:01:25)

Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 09:11:20
Print Post

Looking at roadworksscotland, there is BT work going to be carried out at 244 Nuneaton which is served by Cabinet 8.

Reference: BT020-S000000037534 (1498316)
Address: Nuneaton Street, Glasgow
Promoter: British Telecom
Telephone: 0800 3282873
Dates : 15/03/2013 - 19/03/2013
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Fri 15-Feb-13 11:36:21
Print Post

I'll keep an eye out for that, it's just down the road, thanks.

And yes you're right about the Shettleston exchange, it does cover that end of London Road.

I was told at least a year ago by someone from Clyde Gateway that fibre was not being put into that new industrial estate.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to