General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 20:48:16
Print Post

Bridgeton - Glasgow - Cabinet Map

[link to this post]

Full Map Of Cabinets - http://goo.gl/maps/az6aJ - Made using BT's 2011 document for live cabinets and scatter gun approach on dsl checker to find where other cabinets.

Done this purely as a favour for a friend who is living near the new Commonwealth Games Athlete Village which is currently in the middle of construction. These houses should be finished in December 2013 and they are listed on Openreach's site for FTTP - http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-... -

Looking at bridgeton, this exchange went live for FTTC around June 2010.

Currently there are 41 activated cabinets out of a total of 107 (thats the highest cabinet number I can find on this exchange), with 1 more cabinet due to go live at the end of March. That means only 40% of cabinets in that exchange are going to be FTTC.

I guess what Im trying to find out is when Cabinet 74 is going to go live as this is a reasonably new estate with about 400 dwellings and its right next to this brand new athletes village.

Would BT delay works to surrounding cabinets near the new athlete village maybe to finish installing the FTTH to these 700 houses before continuing on with cabinets nearby?
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Wed 13-Feb-13 20:14:12
Print Post

Re: Bridgeton - Glasgow - Cabinet Map

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

Hi hippyharry, good to see this. As it happens, I just checked with Openreach about this a couple of weeks ago. At work we're on cabinet 8. They say no plans at all to fibre this up.
I'm assuming the blue flags are cabinets enabled, and the red ones are not ?
Actually the green ones annoy me a bit. That covers the whole Athletes Village area for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Those people ought to be out there doing active sporty things - not inside their athletes' flats on Facebook or Xbox or whatever. There's loads of businesses in the area that could use fibre but are denied it.
Can't answer your specific question, but it is certainly the case that BT are enabling cabinets which serve residential premises, and not doing those which have a higher proportion of business connections.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 13-Feb-13 22:35:46
Print Post

When a exchange is enabled for FTTC it will have multiple waves of cabinets being enabled, the inital batch will be done and ones delayed will go live in the weeks/months after the exchange starts accepting orders.
Following on from this, cabinets not initially planned are reviewed and can be added to the rollout, alot of new build estates get added via this review as usually their are not finished or populated when the first survey goes round.

Glasgow has alot of exchanges that are either CS or FE, so the teams will be spread all over the city and further afield, it could be that your estate is further down the list to be enabled and will have to wait its turn.
Your estate and the athletes village is it the same developer, if so you should email them and ask if they are working with Openreach to deploy FTTC to the estate- if not the same developer still email them and ask.

clyde123
The deployment is mainly residential, cabinets that serve business areas usually have low line counts and will mainly be leased line's which are profitable- you dont eat into your own business.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Wed 13-Feb-13 22:36:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:30:57
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

Hey Clyde.

Yeah, the legend for the map is:

BLUE - Cabinet activated for FTTC
RED - Not activated and no date listed for when it will be switched over.
GREEN - The entire new Athlete's village where they are getting FTTH.
FLAME - There is one exchange I can see in there being activated for the end of March.

Looking at Scottish Roadworks, there is work happening down near Dalmarnock Court - Cabinet 13 in around a month or so by BT, and then there is also work being carried out up in the Shettleston exchange.

I know the roll out was done in partnership with Clyde Gateway, so I wonder if they have a say in it all as well?
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:37:35
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Ccxo,

There is two developers in that area. CCG / Cruden / Taggert Mickel are the ones who are doing a joint venture in building the athletes village. The housing estate around the corner is being built by Kier Construction.

I had mentioned to clyde above that (in that you are right), I found a lot of BT works listed on the scottish roadworks for the shettleston exchange. As cabinet's 74 and 34 lie quite close to the shettleston boundary, it might be the case that as all the shettlestons cabinets in that area might get done close to the same time as those on London Road.
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Thu 14-Feb-13 21:03:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by hippyharry:
I know the roll out was done in partnership with Clyde Gateway, so I wonder if they have a say in it all as well?
[/quote

Yes definitely Clyde Gateway have a huge finger in that pie.

Tell you one thing that really amazed me : further out London Road, there is a new industrial estate being built on the right, after the cemetery. That's Clyde Gateway involved there. Even after all the talk I've heard from them about getting Bridgeton to be a major on-line area, there is not fibre going in there. It would be a perfect opportunity - new estate, all the services new, they could have cabled up every unit for the fastest possible connections. Now that would have been a major marketing ploy.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 21:17:18
Print Post

Cabinet 74 - make as much noise as you can about it. You might find that when BT last did a database dump of premises that are passed by the cabinet it didn't include some of the newer build.

The nga.enquiries email address, perhaps the chief executive, along with your local government are a good place to start.

Good luck - I dealt with a similar situation and got a good a result in the end, and while I can't guarantee that you will it's all about persistence, politeness, and disruption.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 08:55:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by clyde123:
Yes definitely Clyde Gateway have a huge finger in that pie.

Tell you one thing that really amazed me : further out London Road, there is a new industrial estate being built on the right, after the cemetery. That's Clyde Gateway involved there. Even after all the talk I've heard from them about getting Bridgeton to be a major on-line area, there is not fibre going in there. It would be a perfect opportunity - new estate, all the services new, they could have cabled up every unit for the fastest possible connections. Now that would have been a major marketing ploy.

That industrial estate, if Im not mistaken actually comes under the Shettleston exchange area. When you drive down London road, you cross over Tollcross Burn. Everything on the east side of that burn goes to Shettleston whilst on the West goes to Bridgeton.

With Shettleston going live sometime this year, its a good chance they'll have fibre rolled in maybe?

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Cabinet 74 - make as much noise as you can about it. You might find that when BT last did a database dump of premises that are passed by the cabinet it didn't include some of the newer build.

The nga.enquiries email address, perhaps the chief executive, along with your local government are a good place to start.

Good luck - I dealt with a similar situation and got a good a result in the end, and while I can't guarantee that you will it's all about persistence, politeness, and disruption.

Brilliant advice Ignitionnet. I think the best thing he can do is to watch for any signs of roadworks appearing soon. Theres a lot of road works all happening around that area due to the village going up, so maybe we'll monitor it over the next few weeks. Im sure BT's database knows about the new builds as I can insert future addresses for houses that havent been built into their database and it knows it exists (but then again, the Royal Mail postcode checker doesnt show these future houses just yet).

Edited by hippyharry (Fri 15-Feb-13 09:01:25)

Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 09:11:20
Print Post

Looking at roadworksscotland, there is BT work going to be carried out at 244 Nuneaton which is served by Cabinet 8.

Reference: BT020-S000000037534 (1498316)
Address: Nuneaton Street, Glasgow
Promoter: British Telecom
Telephone: 0800 3282873
Dates : 15/03/2013 - 19/03/2013
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Fri 15-Feb-13 11:36:21
Print Post

I'll keep an eye out for that, it's just down the road, thanks.

And yes you're right about the Shettleston exchange, it does cover that end of London Road.

I was told at least a year ago by someone from Clyde Gateway that fibre was not being put into that new industrial estate.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Mon 18-Feb-13 11:29:48
Print Post

That's really weird that they wouldnt install fibre into that industrial estate, but maybe it wasnt in the plans last year due to Shettleston exchange not being listed at that time.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 18-Feb-13 14:57:08
Print Post

Unless the landowner has paid for a fibre link or any of the business on the industrial estate, Openreach will not provide a fibre link.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 16:32:49
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Got another update here for Bridgeton exchange.

Cabinet 95 is down for works:

Reference: BT020-12242080 (1500828)
Address: Westmuir Street, Glasgow
Promoter: British Telecom
Telephone: 0800 3282873
Dates : 16/02/2013 - 19/02/2013
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:07:32
Print Post

Done a bit of an update to the latest map.

Only changes I have seen is that Cabinet 25 has been pushed back from 31st March to 30th June.

http://goo.gl/maps/t2ZpL

All cabinets are now listed for Bridgeton and each one has a list of postcodes these serve. These were taken from the December 2011 document, and could possibly be used when cross referencing on BT's checker.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-13 21:12:19
Print Post

Looks like (according to roadworks), Cabinet 12 is down to be activated for fibre.

Works taking place between 15th and 16th April at the cabinet.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Tue 19-Mar-13 10:09:46
Print Post

Received an email back from NGA after 20 working days regarding Cabinet 74

Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet and your cabinet, WS/BRI 74 fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the cabinet has too few premise connected to it, rendering it too small to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs of providing a new FTTC cabinet.

From checking, there is 271 premises connected to that. What is the minimum number of properties connected to a cabinet to make it worthwhile for Openreach to install a Fibre Cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 10:59:16
Print Post

They deploy two sizes, and the smaller cab can serve around 144 lines. The larger cabinet is 288 lines.

So ideally they'd be looking for more than double that number of premises, as not everyone will sign up, so at 271 you might be on the low edge of being too small. That is without having read what NGA said.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:32:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andy.

What I had quoted is exactly what they had said. Apart from a little bit of bumpf at the bottom pointing me towards BDUK funding and contacting my local council.

I was figuring that with the smaller cabinet serving 144 lines, that would be an ideal size for the 271 properties in there. That would then allow 53% of the properties there to sign up for superfast.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:35:36
Print Post

It will allow that, but it may depend on whether they are seeing good uptake on other cabinets in the area, and all you need is for one cost to be a little more for the cab to fall off the list.

I think you are only just outside the criteria, and if BT has already notified council the cabinet is outside criteria they might not be that interested in helping out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:45:07
Print Post

That's a shame as only just around the corner is the new Athletes Village for the Commonwealth games with 700 odd houses getting FTTH.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2089950272122...

That link there shows you how close it is but all around that area none of the cabinets have been upgraded.

Anyway,

Thanks for the advice Andrew.
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Tue 19-Mar-13 22:06:04
Print Post

I went to an event today at the Emirates Arena (part of the Velodrome). This was "part of an ongoing consultation process" for the Commonwealth Games.
I asked specifically about the FTTH to the athletes' flats, but the people there knew nothing at all about the fibre, didn't seem to even know it's scheduled. And had no idea at all about what will happen to it after the Games.
Standard User hippyharry
(newbie) Wed 20-Mar-13 08:24:11
Print Post

Wow. Maybe CCG, Cruden and MTM know more about it though. Generally during construction all the house builder will do is install the ducting and if the FTTH is going ahead here, they will just leave pull rope in place allowing BT to then run the fibre in.

I reckon it just means them not knowing about it is probably down to the actual housebuilders not installing it themselves.
Standard User hippyharry
(learned) Sat 07-Dec-13 14:00:02
Print Post

Had an openreach engineer at the house having a look at my ADSL line (line sync problems etc, doesnt matter), but I got chatting with him about the commonwealth village and the lines going in there.

He was telling me that they are going in there next week to start connecting each of the properties but he was telling me that there is no copper going into any of the houses there.

How does this work then for new builds with FTTP but no copper going in? What if you just wanted a phone line and no broadband? Also, wouldnt this mean that the cost for having any kind of internet into these houses will cost you a fortune with the minimum package at 330mbit?

Just curious! smile
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 07-Dec-13 14:10:29
Print Post

It sounds like the same at the Olympic village in London.
Native FTTP mirrors the same speed options as FTTC with the additional options only available for FTTP.
Only fibre on demand has the 330Mbit/s restriction.
Standard User clyde123
(learned) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:05:35
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

What happened at the Olympic village after the games finished ? I mean what happened to the flats ?
The Commonwealth games ones are slated to become ordinary housing afterwards, although with modifications I believe.
Given that the Games people will have paid for the FTTP installs, I would imagine that new tenants would only have to pay normal rentals, maybe a re-connection fee.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:55:55
Print Post

An FTTP activation where it is a native FTTP rather than a fibre on demand is the same wholesale price as for FTTC, i.e. £90

Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 10-Mar-14 13:23:38
Print Post

A quick update and there have been several more cabinets activated since I last updated the map here - http://goo.gl/maps/az6aJ

A drive along London Road today showed two Openreach vans installing BFT from near Cabinet 62 at Birnan Road up to Methven Street. There was however, another drum of BFT sitting at Canmore street which would now tell me that they are getting close to setting up for possibly Cabinet 34 and Cabinet 74.

Edited by hippyharry (Mon 10-Mar-14 13:23:58)

Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 13:36:55
Print Post

Amazing work on this btw, sorry I missed it the first time around.
Dare I ask,did your scatter gun approach involve purely manual labour?
I'd be very curious if anyone has created a semi-automatic way to estimate cabinet locations then adjust the location by a notch or two once the "donkey" work has been done?
Cheers,
flipdee
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 10-Mar-14 13:50:19
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

The scatter gun approach was a few hours work. At the time I just picked random streets, used Royal Mail's "find a postcode" and cross referenced these with http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres... site.

As it was, all the cabinets were actually listed on the December 2011 PCP spreadsheet for Bridgeton Exchange, so even though I had managed to find about 70% of these, I was able to find the remaining cabinets by using this spreadsheet. For example, Cabinet 106 only serves 1 postcode according to the PCP spreadsheet, so I would have had a hard time trying to find that cabinet using a scatter gun approach. As it is, that postcode gets about 16mbit on ADSL2, so it's not exactly falling behind in terms of speed.

There is a quick method though by using this website (however, I think it limits you to a number of searches per day) - http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Here's an example to look at Cabinet 106 - http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=72...
Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:02:46
Print Post

Sadly I don't think magenta's site allows "sharing" of searches, most likely a cookie restriction.
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:14:44
Print Post

Well, try - http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

You can enter a full postcode and click on "Lookup Postcode" It will return a map but below it, you will see where it lists the cabinet on the right handside in a small table.

Click on the cabinet number and it will bring up a map showing you all the postcodes that cabinet serves. When I just run through it there, I actually found some missing data. Appears that there is a cabinet (Cabinet 69) which is showing as being down for FTTP. Nice find from that data!
Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:22:51
Print Post

Ah, got it working, for a moment I thought it didn't like Northern Ireland, I have found a couple of post codes over here with out of date data (i.e. fttc available but saying it's not)...Interesting.
Definitely easier than the fully manual process.
Cheers.
flipdee
Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:29:55
Print Post

Here's a question, anyone any idea how up to date/where magenta have got the information for their lookup tool? I thought trefor tried to do something similar and BTo asked him to take it down?

It's very interesting seeing the cabinets mapped out by postcode area.
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:54:34
Print Post

On their homepage it states:

Magenta Telecom SQL Database, Version 1.2
Creation Date: 5th March 2014
Source: Ofcom CodeList numbering database dated 5th March 2014
Source: BT Electronic Price List dated 25th February 2014
Source: BT Wholesale broadband datasets dated 27th January 2014

So, It's pretty up to date. It's suppose to be limited to 20 searches per day though, however, in the URL bar, after looking at one cabinet, you can just change the cabinet number there and it works. I think with the previous persons website, they had actually identified the exact cabinet locations, whereas this is just giving you rough locations by looking at all the postcodes.

Edited by hippyharry (Mon 10-Mar-14 14:55:53)

Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 10-Mar-14 14:57:16
Print Post

Hey there,
Sorry I should've said, I did see those dates, something made me think BT doesn't actually publish the fttc side of things which made me think they had extracted that info from somewhere separately.
Really useful, and if the info is bang up to date, it's fantastically useful!
Standard User Rayrosher
(newbie) Thu 17-Jul-14 22:21:40
Print Post

just wondered if cabinet 29 is getting infinity, annoying thing is the cabinet is 20 feet from the olympic village! and cabinet 29 on the mile checker is the closest in the G40 postcode area to the exchange!
be really [censored] if a bunch of athletes get infinity for 2 weeks and i've been asking for it for the past ten years...

Edited by Rayrosher (Thu 17-Jul-14 22:24:38)

Standard User clyde123
(regular) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:50:47
Print Post

[re: Rayrosher] [link to this post]

Hi Rayrosher, I feel your pain smile
Can't answer your specific question, sorry. But I'm right here as well, although a different cabinet, and I understand there's no chance.
To rub salt in the wounds, I understand the fibre is going to be ripped out when they "refurbish" the athletes' village.
Saw some wee boys playing football on these "tank barriers" on London Road yesterday. Thought that was the best use they'll ever see smile
Don't start me on a rant - we're already having problems getting in & out to work. It's going to be a total nightmare for the next three weeks.
Even the polis cars seem to be going around in pairs in the area.
Standard User Rayrosher
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 18:20:34
Print Post

yeah but it's so annoying the council and clydegateway have done feck all for us and ignored what we had to say all it would need is a little thing like this to make us think that where getting something out of it and I would have been happy but no it's a feck you attitude from them! and guess who's going to be paying for it in increased community charges next year us Mugs!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to