General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BrianS2010
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-13 16:38:47
Print Post

FTTC speed query

[link to this post]

When looking to upgrade from copper to FTTC for my broadband connection I noted that the provider I had selected indicated "download speeds of upto 40Mbps with upload speeds of upto 2Mbps" for home broadband

I then used the same providers speed checker and this indicated an expected speed od 28.9Mbps down and 5.7Mbps up.

When the installation was completed I checked with speedtest.net and found that the actual speed was around 20.65 Mbps down and 1.7Mbps up. the latency shown on speedtest was around 13 and 14 milliseconds.

This has since dropped to around 15Mbps down and 1.7 up with a latency normally around 22 milliseconds.

Sync speed shown on my providers control panel was originally 21438 and has now dropped to 15728.

I have complained about the current speed but they tell me that it is within reasonable limits.

Do you think it is reasonable, or are they trying to get out of providing the service they advertise? The speed test they provide is still showing that 28.9Mbps down and 5.7 up is possible.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Feb-13 16:46:49
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed query

[re: BrianS2010] [link to this post]

Alas with FTTC the speed you get is largely determined by the length of the line between the cabinet and home.

The original 40/2 is the headline speeds i.e. those closest to the cabinet will get.

Half way down the page is a rough distance/speed guide. From your post does a distance of 1000m (1km) sound reasonable for line between house and the green fibre street cabinet?

All the estimates given are connection speeds, so yes speedtests will very often be lower. Though to date most people getting FTTC have got speeds above their estimates, the key word though is estimate.

You can try and exercise consumer rights and walk away, but to be honest no other FTTC provider is going to do better as the physics are the same for them all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Feb-13 16:49:13
Print Post

The downstream drop looks a little odd, but re the upstream you appear to have purchased a 40/2 product not a 40/10. In which case the 1.7Mbps real upload is spot on for the 2Mbps sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Feb-13 16:55:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Guessing but the latency rise, may suggest the DLM was seeing errors and kicked in with a slow down and more interleaving

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 13-Feb-13 17:34:38
Print Post

Sync speed shown on my providers control panel was originally 21438 and has now dropped to 15728
Ask the service provider if that is within Openreach tolerance - they have number for sync speed reduction beyond which it is regarded as a fault.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User PaulHunter
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 18:48:45
Print Post

FTTC Speed Estimate

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Can anyone suggest what my connection speed might be when my cabinet gets fibre connected later this month? I'm just over 1 km from the cabinet, and the cabinet itself might be around 6 km from the exchange.

Many thanks
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jun-14 19:07:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speed Estimate

[re: PaulHunter] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulHunter:
Can anyone suggest what my connection speed might be when my cabinet gets fibre connected later this month? I'm just over 1 km from the cabinet, and the cabinet itself might be around 6 km from the exchange.

According to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... about 24Mbps but these numbers are pretty pessimistic. The distance to the exchange is completely irrelevant.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 02-Jun-14 20:01:35)

Standard User PaulHunter
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 19:38:57
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks Kevin. When you say numbers are pessimistic, any idea what a more realistic figure might be in terms of a percentage under-estimate?

Edited by PaulHunter (Mon 02-Jun-14 19:39:36)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jun-14 20:04:58
Print Post

When you say numbers are pessimistic, any idea what a more realistic figure might be in terms of a percentage under-estimate?

Not really, as different people have different experiences so I can only speak for myself. I am about 450m from the cabinet and currently sync at 72Mbps, the table estimates between 38 and 42, I would say the majority of people at a similar distance exceed that.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 02-Jun-14 20:05:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:34:27
Print Post

I believe you are on BT Broadband. If so, put your phone number into this checker and that should give a range of possibilities.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to