General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:29:38
Print Post

Village DIY FTTP

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21455795

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Thu 14-Feb-13 12:03:38
Print Post

Re: Village DIY FTTP

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I noticed that the BBC said that BARN was still £1.5 million short of getting their network finished.

Do we know if that funding gap is to be filled anytime soon or will some places lose out?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Feb-13 12:22:19
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

B4RN celebrates the first live connections in Arkholme with a public demonstration event day on February 14th at the Village Hall, Kirkby Lonsdale Road, Arkholme, LA6 1AU, starting at 1pm and ending at 8pm, 1:30pm opening presentation by Barry Forde with repeat presentations at 3.30 and 5.30.

B4RN has passed another major milestone this month. B4RN is now live in the second village (the first was Quernmore in October), with the first people connected very happy with the service.
6. Funding

The first phase covers 1452 properties and will cost £1.723M to deliver and operate for the first year, January to December 2012. We therefore need to raise this amount during year 1 but it does not all have to be available on day 1. Some is needed up front to build the fibre network, some is needed as and when connection requests are received and some is the first year’s OPEX and will be required across the year.

The main fund raising mechanism is going to be through issuing shares to prospective investors. We see these as being mainly members of the local community. However if the financial side of the scheme can be made attractive there is the possibility of also securing external investors. We have had quite a number of out of area registrations on the web site who have indicated an interest in buying shares.

To give a funding margin we will look to issue £2M of shares. As well as income from shares we will receive payments from connection charges and the monthly £30 service charge. There are also a range of other types of service which we will look to receive income from such as telephony, security and leased line links to Manchester.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 14-Feb-13 12:23:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Feb-13 12:47:33
Print Post

They say that running through fields is cheaper - yes it is and BT would do that too, but farmers want to charge high rents for the way leaves which make the road option cheaper. They are also not factoring in the full cost of manpower as a lot is free - re-evaluate the project with the nominal costs for te time spent and it may not be much different to BTs.

I have been advising a small hamlet of about 10 houses. But getting fibre to a local is the expensive part - and even if BT could provide that the costs could be almost prohibitive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Thu 14-Feb-13 13:25:08
Print Post

Hello Bob

This was on bbc1 breakfast telly at 6.25ish thismorning, watched while having breakfast.

The presenter was there live in a village hall I guess and that is not on the video but just missed the start as they where doing a speedtest and caught the shot of the computer screen, noticed upload was 500 meg. Nice smile.

Lot of hard work for a locals but good stuff when done, makes our 40 - 10 bt offering look naff
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Feb-13 13:37:55
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

This speedtest result is on the site I linked to http://b4rn.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 14-Feb-13 13:39:15)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 14-Feb-13 18:01:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I wonder how repeatable the model is. Nobody round here seems capable of using a shovel when the road needs salting and I've encountered several communities not willing to do much themselves beyond moan and lobby.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Feb-13 18:08:35
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

It can be, but you need a real community spirit and one or two to lead and organise. And everyone who wants to benefit needs to give something - access to land, loan of a JCB, procurement expertise, network expertise, driving the digger, manual labour, making tea ...

But you are right, the spirit is lacking in to many places.

The ones I am helping are all willing to do something - but they cannot afford the massive overhead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Feb-13 13:53:47
Print Post

am I seeing things or was he getting 500mbit/sec at home to his laptop laugh

This does show that generally people are hoarding cash tho, they managed to fund this. It also shows that providers are easily undercharging as well. As I said a while back people in very bad adsl areas will willingly pay for faster connections.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Feb-13 13:56:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

to be fair tho BT do escalate their own costs.

eg. compare BT's cost per meter to lay fibre to say verizon's cost. Both commercial companies but the latter does it at much lower cost somehow eg. stringing across street posts instead of digging.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to