General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User darkmast2
(member) Fri 15-Feb-13 11:18:18
Print Post

New Fibre

[link to this post]

Our exchange (NSBLG) was fibre enabled a while ago and our Cab (20) has finally been hooked up. As of yesterday we can now finally get fibre laugh

Just need to decide on who to go for. Currently we are with Talk Talk for phone/broadband but have been out of the 12 month contract since December. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with TT fibre in this area or in general or would maybe BT Infinity Option 2 be a good choice?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Feb-13 12:44:38
Print Post

Re: New Fibre

[re: darkmast2] [link to this post]

Personally I'd have BT, Plusnet and Sky on my shortlist. I have an aversion to all things TT (except possibly an Audi).
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Feb-13 12:46:50
Print Post

no experience to share, you'll be familiar with the Talk Talk peak time performance on your exchange. How does it compare financially ? is it a low cost upgrade to an existing service compared to a new Infinity service.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User darkmast2
(member) Fri 15-Feb-13 13:18:42
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

well at the moment I can only get a 3.5MB connection so get downloads in the region of 460KiB which I can usually get full speed on that at any time of the day, so not sure what it will be like on a faster connection. To upgrade to the Fibre Large product will be an extra £15/month on top of our current package which at the moment I can't remember what the cost is. So upgrading to TT Fibre should be less hassle but I don't really like them much.

It's much easier with ADSL since it's pretty much standard 1 month contracts these days but it won't be so easy with fibre contracts being 12 - 18 months.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Fri 15-Feb-13 13:38:49
Print Post

TT seem to take their time getting fibre available. In my area ithey started offering fibre about 8 months after BT and Sky.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Feb-13 19:30:14
Print Post

Assuming you would want unlimited, it's worth knowing that the 18-month Plusnet minimum term for the fibre can be bought out at £5.75 per outstanding month, not the full £19.99pm. Plus, if within the first 12 months you get charged for the "free" router.

If you also take Plusnet phone then (with fibre) that is also an 18-month term. Buy-outs vary between £2.25 and £5.25 per outstanding month depending on the Call Package you take.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Feb-13 19:40:34
Print Post

"An installation fee of £30 and a monthly cost of £10 or £15 per month for Fibre Medium or Fibre Large in addition to your Essentials or Plus TV package price."

the install fee is probably well below some of the competition, and includes all the hardware ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User darkmast2
(member) Sat 16-Feb-13 01:30:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's interesting - I didn't know they did that. I'll be looking very carefully at what each company has to offer.

I really would quite like unlimited but then I guess everyone does smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Feb-13 10:04:05
Print Post

The page those figures come from. You have to scroll through a lot of stuff, but the words "Early termination" are used in the two sub-headings.

It's somewhat more detailed than the main website.

Note that the cheaper Essentials Fibre package is unlimited overnight but also has a small amount of throttling - see here.

I expect you will find this blog interesting as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Feb-13 10:04:52)

Standard User darkmast2
(member) Sat 16-Feb-13 13:36:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information.

One thing I can't seem to find is details on engineer installations, what exactly do they do to install it in your house. Also can't seem to find info if engineer's can be booked for a weekend call. Generally there's no one in during the day so an evening/weekend would be better but not sure if this is possible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to