General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:21:12
Print Post

I have FTTC but my area is no longer showing as enabled?

[link to this post]

Evening,

I've had up to 80Mbit FTTC for the past 6 months or so but upon checking the BT wholesale site today, it doesn't show FTTC as available anymore for my phone line! I thought this was strange so checked the Plusnet site (who I currently get my Fibre through) for the property next door and what do you know, they can only get ADSL2+!

A bug in BT's system or have they stopped supplying it? My thought were if I wanted to change supplier at some point in the future, its going to be a nightmare if ISP's don't think I can get it!

Samknows still shows my exchange as having it enabled and another number in the area on the other side of town shows on the BT dsl site as being enabled. Its not as though they have moved/disconnected my FTTC junction box as its still up and running as quick as ever, im very confused.

Dan

Edited by c0dec (Fri 22-Feb-13 20:25:01)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:35:33
Print Post

Re: I have FTTC but my area is no longer showing as enabled?

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by c0dec:
A bug in BT's system or have they stopped supplying it? My thought were if I wanted to change supplier at some point in the future, its going to be a nightmare if ISP's don't think I can get it!

Probably means your cabinet is out of capacity, so no neighbours (or you with a second line) can order right now. Changing ISP shouldn't be an issue for a move. Hopefully BT will install a second cab if demand is high.

see this:
http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=D...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:36:14
Print Post

It could be that all the initial connections are now in use. Usually not all slots in the FTTC cabinet are enabled at Day 1, so an upgrade is needed.

Occasionally a cabinet gets completely filled, in which case Openreach usually add another cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:36:50
Print Post

It could be that the FTTC cabinet you're connected to has now reached capacity until Openreach install more cards or an additional cab.
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:53:03
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I suppose this makes sense, however its not been in there long at all so can't have alot of space in there!
Standard User simon194
(committed) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:10:14
Print Post

The cabs are usually commissioned with 100 pairs initially. The one I was connected to before I moved ran out of conections after about 5 months.
  Print Thread

Jump to