General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sat 23-Feb-13 13:13:30
Print Post

FTTC Attainable Rates

[link to this post]

For the last 2 and a half years my FTTC line had a steady max attainable rate of 60Mb down and around 21Mb up at around 600m. About 3 weeks ago I logged into the modem to see a max download of 50Mb and upload flapping about from around 2-4Mb which was quite worrying =/. After leaving it a while (and trying two different modems) it became stable at around 51Mb down and 10Mb up. Last week I looked to find my 60/20 back again and thought all was well until the past couple of days its back to around 52/9. Coincidentally over the last week or two there has been a BT lorry and a few fans about that look to be installing new lines for new houses built further up the street. I am wondering if this could be crosstalk or have BT given my line a knock. I know I shouldn't complain with those speeds but I'm moving to 80/20 in a few weeks and 60/20 sounds better than 50/9 =).

Thanks,
Andrew.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sat 23-Feb-13 14:24:50
Print Post

Re: FTTC Attainable Rates

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

I confess that I am a little confused by your post (put it down to age). Presumably, the max attainable rates are what your log is showing that your line is capable of? For example, up until recently, my modem/router showed 95/27 on a 80/20 line. The 80/20 profile being the practical limit for my line as set by my ISP. In practice, I got about 76 down and 16.5 up. I say up until recently as I have also had speed issues on my line after a year or so of total stability. It could be down to all the bad weather causing a high resistance fault on my copper line, an exchange card fault or a router fault to name but a few possibilities. The router has gone back to the manufacturer for a check/replacement.

All that said, I think that in practice, a move to 80/20 FTTC will not give you any real increase in speeds unless you are currently on a 40/10 or a 40/2 profile. The limiting factor is the distance from your modem to the FTTC cabinet.

As you are probably getting actual speeds close to the theoretical max, my experience of ISPs is that they will be reluctant to investigate this problem for you. They prefer to deal with a failed lightbulb rather than a flickering one and, say, that 90% of DSL speed issues are due to problems on the consumer side of the NTE5 connection.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Feb-13 14:49:16
Print Post

Never mind your max attainable rates, which is a theoretical maximum, what are your actual rates?

What package did you buy? Sounds like 40/2. On which case those figures seem OK.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sun 24-Feb-13 12:48:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm actually on 40/10 at the minute so my downstream rate of 39997 kbit/s is fine but it has affected my upstream rate from around 9999kbit/s to 7198kbit/s. I assume the max attainable rates will determine what my actual rates are when I switch to 80/20 and I am just worrying that my max upstream rate seems to be fluctuating from 2000-11000kbit/s changing very regularly (sometimes chaning from 11Mb/s to 2Mb/s in a matter of seconds).
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sun 24-Feb-13 13:09:38
Print Post

It is theoretically impossible to get an actual upstream speed of 11Mbps on a 40/10 connection. My connection re-profiled early this morning and I get actual speeds of 76/16.8 on an 80/20 connection. I suggest that you run a BT Wholesale speedtest (including diagnostics) and post the results. Ideally, run the test on a wired computer (ie; not over wireless). What modem/router are you using?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Feb-13 13:12:54
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
It is theoretically impossible to get an actual upstream speed of 11Mbps on a 40/10 connection. My connection re-profiled early this morning and I get actual speeds of 76/16.8 on an 80/20 connection. I suggest that you run a BT Wholesale speedtest (including diagnostics) and post the results. Ideally, run the test on a wired computer (ie; not over wireless). What modem/router are you using?

He's referring to the max obtainable from the modem, not a speed test.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sun 24-Feb-13 13:59:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
He's referring to the max obtainable from the modem, not a speed test.

OK. My Fritz!Box log shows fixed information of Max attainable speeds and synched speeds;i.e.; 97.5/27.5 on an 80/20 profile. The max attainable speeds only change after a DSL re-synch whereas line attenuation and SNR are monitored constantly. I confess that I am not familiar with any router that shows actual speeds that vary with the frequency that the OP suggests. I am happy to proved wrong. That said, I am not sure what help or re-assurance the OP is seeking? the response from any ISP would be try a different router.

This might be worth a read:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/12/when-sl...

Related conversation going on here:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4213028-max-at...

Edited by lexden16 (Sun 24-Feb-13 14:12:14)

Standard User swervinc
(regular) Mon 25-Feb-13 15:25:40
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Maybe some noise was introduced somewhere? A few weeks ago the line had a stable SNR of about 14 - 15dB downstream and upstream. My downstream is now a steady 11dB but my upstream SNR seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

These two print screens are what the stats are 5 mins apart:
Print Screen 1
Print Screen 2

Considering they were steady for over two years there must be something happening to make the SNR decrease. They did return to normal for a few days recently but now back to this.
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 17:20:58
Print Post

Found out today my landline no longer has a dial tone just a lowish humming sound. Tried different phones and different filters. Maybe that has something to do with it =/.
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 17:55:36
Print Post

Sounds like a bad connection to me.

This would explain your lack of dial tone and upstream variations. Chances are you've probably just got some corrosion on one of your connectors externally which has been highlighted by the work BT OR have or are carrying out at present by you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to