General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Mon 25-Feb-13 12:31:52
Print Post

Slightly OT: New line PQ Test

[link to this post]

I've just had a new line installed in preparation for eventually ordering FTTC which should be available next month (fingers crossed).

When the OR guy completed the install (which required a new drop wire from the DP) he ran a PQ test which he seemed to have trouble getting to pass. On the final run he got it to pass by pulling the connection to the NTE5 on the last test (Insulation R). I grabbed a photo of one of the failed tests which is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56574548@N03/8507160172/

Now given the line quality issues around FTTC and broadband in general I'm paranoid that he fudged the test to get a pass, I feel sorry for the guy as he was under a lot of pressure to move on the next job. Do I have anything to be concerned about?

Cheers,

MH
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 25-Feb-13 12:51:25
Print Post

Re: Slightly OT: New line PQ Test

[re: MaryHinge] [link to this post]

One OK and one Fail ... Not good and it could give problems with FTTC, but that may depend on where the failure point is.

Hopefully one of the BT Techs here might be able to give some further details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:57:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Not enough detail in the Exfo screen shot to offer any further advice. Clearly though, pulling the connection halfway through the test is 'sharp' practice. He must have had to record a pass on the final Eclipse test, so if there is 'something' on the line, it is going to be very minor.
Also not unknown to have these testers show test results that are anomalies to say the least. Test results showing that, if correct, there would be no dial tone .....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:51:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The test failed 3 times before it "passed". The engineer claimed that the problem was that he was packing up his van when the failed tests were running and "sometimes you need to push some buttons during the test to get it through". He also said the PQ test was an OFCOM requirement?

When I was watching the test unit each time it failed it was on the insulation resistance test (the last one) and it looked liked the previous tests were ok. When the final successful test ran the engineer disconnected the test unit from the line during the insulation resistance test which then showed as a pass.
  Print Thread

Jump to