General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeBlitz
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:27:30
Print Post

BT Infinity Install

[link to this post]

Hi there guys.

I'm having BT infinity installed soon and I need some advice on the install process and the cabling used.

I currently have an ADSL connection with a cable going through the ceiling from the master socket to the room with the modem/router box. I believe this is an RJ11 right?

When the engineer comes to install it can I still use that cable to go from the master socket to the computer room or not.

I was thinking about having him install the router and modem downstairs in the kitchen and then when I am ready using a RJ11 or Cat5 or whatever is needed to get a wired connection to the computer room.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:34:59
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Install

[re: MikeBlitz] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem uses RJ11 cable too. The engineer will fit a new master socket.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User MikeBlitz
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:52:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The Openreach modem uses RJ11 cable too. The engineer will fit a new master socket.

Ok so what I use should be perfectly fine or would it create more noise on the line?

Want to make it as stable as possible and convenient.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Mon 25-Feb-13 19:19:19
Print Post

You want to have the modem as close to the master socket as possible. An extra telephone cable run will work but will degrade your signal. The installer can fit a data extension to extend from the master; this will carry VDSL signals but over good quality cable. It may still degrade the signal a bit.

Best option is to have the modem right by the master socket, and then to run ethernet connection. Loss on long runs of ethernet is very small. No need to have the router close to the modem. Depending on what equipment you have and how and where you connect anything wirelessly, It may be most convenient to have the router near the modem and a switch in the computer room; or the modem downstairs and router upstairs. Once you have an ethernet cable run from near the master to the computer room (as you suggested in your first post), it is easy to try different configurations.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 25-Feb-13 19:23:08)

Standard User darkmast2
(member) Mon 25-Feb-13 22:17:59
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Your setup is quite similar to mine in a way. Cable runs up through the wall into front bedroom, through a hallway into the back bedroom where my pc and router is.

My fibre install date is March 5. We were planning on having the modem at the master socket which would then connect into the existing cable. I was hoping to have the router still in my room, also hoping to be able to use my existing router which is a Netgear DGND3700 but will have to speak to the engineer about that.
(committed) Mon 25-Feb-13 23:39:41
Print Post

[re: darkmast2] [link to this post]

A quick look shows that Netgear as an ADSL router but not a cable router, which is what you need to complement the modem for FTTC.
You might be able to set it up in conjunction with to the HomeHub (and modem); essentially as a wireless switch.
You will probably find that the installer won't know much about that side of things; probably even less than my very sketchy comments here.
Someone else on the forum will almost certainly step in with more precise information, though.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Feb-13 01:27:31
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
A quick look shows that Netgear as an ADSL router but not a cable router
That's not quite correct. The DGND3700 is a router that has both a WAN (or cable) port and an ADSL modem so can either be used with an VDSL modem connecting to it via the WAN port or using its internal modem for an ADSL connection.
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 08:30:15
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Pleased to be shown wrong ~ my quick look as too quick, sorry.

--
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 26-Feb-13 10:11:34
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Spot on, my DGND3700 is working quite happily with my FTTC connection.

Standard User MikeBlitz
(newbie) Tue 05-Mar-13 11:47:49
Print Post

Driver rang me at 08:15 said he's travelling from Bristol, so should be an hour to get here. On the phone I thought better confirm what he's been told to do so I tell him it's for a new line and BT Infinity.

He arrives at about half 9, I show him where the first master comes into the property. The way it comes in is really awkward and then apparently he isn't trained to do underground installs. The look on my face when he said that must have been priceless, BeThere cut my internet off yesterday so i'm thinking i'm gonna be screwed.

He tells me he should send the order back but coming all the way from Bristol to send it back would be a bit of a waste so will try and get it going. Surely all engineers should be able to do every type of job?

Really impressed with the lads effort though i'm guessing he has just finished some training/apprenticeship cause he looked young.

Found the spare pair, line length around 110 and he is going to go back to cab to test for signal/dial tone etc.

Rings me and says my line is fine but there is a fault on the end from the cabinet to the exchange so he is going to the exchange to sort it out.

Came back at 11:30 to finish off the install by drilling through the brick wall to get the new line in, guessing he should finish around 12:30, so should be a successful install.

Will have to eventually redo my internal networking to upstairs so I can use wired connections.

If I do want to test my sync speed using the RJ11 I already have wired through the house, will the sync speed return back to normal pretty quickly if I go back to his cable?

Edited by MikeBlitz (Tue 05-Mar-13 11:54:56)

Print Thread

Jump to