General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JamieDanjoux
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:22:54
Print Post

Turning an extension socket into a fibre socket?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

Can you turn an extension socket into a master socket? I am a very experienced installer but can't find anywhere on the net on how to do this? I can't use the extension socket due to being on fibre. I don't mind getting into trouble by BT or BTOPENREACH. Is there anyway changing the ext (extension) socket into a master socket? I am also not bothered about a reduced speed. Please note I do not want a WAP or a home plug.

Any Help will be appreciated

J

I am with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Broadband! My speeds are 60mbits+ and Upload is 15mbits+
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:26:39
Print Post

Re: Turning an extension socket into a fibre socket?

[re: JamieDanjoux] [link to this post]

In a standard extension cable, there is a spare pair which you can use to back-wire from the old master to the new master.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:29:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry to be very thick, but could you give me some steps on how to do this?

J

I am with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Broadband! My speeds are 60mbits+ and Upload is 15mbits+

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:33:17
Print Post

Sorry, I need a bit more info. Are the extensions daisy-chained from the master using 2-pair UTP extension cable? and, How far down the chain is the extension socket you are interested in?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:40:38
Print Post

Can I provide you the pics of them unscrewed or screwed?

J

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:44:20
Print Post

Sure, post a link here to the pics on a hosting site such as http://tinypic.com/
Preferably unscrewed (as yet).

(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:49:06
Print Post

I found an example on Google Images! http://www.wdbiz.net/productimage/300%5C609158.jpg

The green wire is a blue wire in fact there are 2 blues one stripy and one solid. The solid goes into port number 3 and stripy blue goes into port 2 the other one (stripy orange goes into port number 5) the solid orange (bellwire) is detached when I last went into the socket this was in port 4.

p.s i'm sure port isn't the right word for those slots

J

They are not twisted they are just on its own,

Edited by JamieDanjoux (Mon 25-Feb-13 21:51:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:59:47
Print Post

We know what the wires look like, the key is how is yours wired and with a picture people here can see things that you would otherwise not think important.

The blue stripy would normally go to pin 2 and the solid blue to pin 5.

What you have probably works, but it sounds like is a split pair and would be bad for VDSL.

As others have said a spare pair can be used in the existing wiring assuming it is reasonable twisted pair.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 22:02:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It can be found here [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/e2e7r.jpg[/IMG] Hope this helps!
p.s seems to be rotated?

Edited by JamieDanjoux (Mon 25-Feb-13 22:03:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Feb-13 22:12:27
Print Post

Yes a split pair - I presume you have a VDSL Interstitial plate at the current master socket?

Is the reason for wanting the master socket moved so that you can place the Openreach modem on the end of it? Is there any need for the telephone to work?

If you want to ignore the rules completely the best solution to having the master socket in the position of the current extension socket, and the risks of a charge for fixing this if there is a problem later that Openreach think is caused by the changes you made.

1. Get some gel crimps
2. Remove the existing master and and extension, noting which wires are connected to A & B
3. Gel crimp the A to the blue with white stripe that goes to the extension location
4. Gel crimp the B wire to the solid blue wire
5. Place the master socket at the extension location and wire blue with white stripe to A
6. Wire the solid blue to B
7. Connect back the VDSL faceplate and master socket faceplate
8. Openreach modem and phone should work in this new location.
9. Connect the orange with white stripe to pin 2 on the back of the master sockets split face plate
10. Connection solid orange wire to pin 5 on the back of the split face plate
11. Where the old master socket was located connection the orange with white stripe to pin 2 on the extension socket
12. Connect orange to pin 5
13. Screw to wall and it should work as a telephone

Failing all that you can just removed the VDSL faceplate and see how using old fashioned microfilters fairs, if you aren't worried about speed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to