General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AVC
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 20:52:51
Print Post

Fibre - Can I get it or not?

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm on a mission to find out what the current state of play is with fibre broadband in my village.

I am currently on TT and get 1.3Mbps (on a good day). I've been holding out for fibre in the hope I may get a small increase in speed.

I have checked every site I can find, and finally my exchange (WHITWELL) and even my cabinet (P7) are enabled.

I ran a check on the TT website and it says fibre is coming soon and I can get around 35Mbps download (yes, I know, not in a million years). If I check the BT Wholesale ADSL checker it doesn't mention FTTC at all for my address but does state FTTC is available for other address' on the same cabinet. Is this usual?

I know I am a long way from the cabinet (2.5m by road) and I have seen that if your line won't give a speed of 15Mbps or more, that BT say you can't have fibre.

I guess what I am asking is, am I reading all this information correctly, in that I have no chance of getting anything better than my 1Mbps connection?

With thanks in advance.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:15:10
Print Post

Re: Fibre - Can I get it or not?

[re: AVC] [link to this post]

At 2.5m from the Cabinet I can only commiserate with you! frown

It is likely that the speed you are getting is the best you will get, FTTC is unlikely to improve your connection at that distance.

A 4g package is your best hope when/if it reaches you.

Otherwise some areas have wireless line of sight providers that could help but I don't know if any serve your area. I assume you are in WHITWELL Derbyshire ( not WHITWELL Hertfordshire).
Standard User AVC
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:19:08
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Back to carrier pigeon it is then lol

Yes, WHITWELL, Derbyshire.

Looked into 4G and at present, its just out of reach (just like FTTC), No wireless here either, and satellite, well, not too sure about that.

Well, next option is to get a caravan and park next the to cabinet, do you think BT would install?? wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 27-Feb-13 13:19:35
Print Post

[re: AVC] [link to this post]

if you're on a Talk Talk LLU line the BT number checkers may give you no result or an incomplete one.

You can get FTTC on speed predictions below 15M, from other ISPs via BT Wholesale and perhaps BT "Option 3 broadband with fibre" or whatever it's called now.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User AVC
(newbie) Wed 27-Feb-13 15:08:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Well I called BT and sales reckon Option 3 With Fibre is available to me, although they seemed a little unsure by the end of the call and I am awaiting a confirmation callback, so fingers crossed.

I have contacted TalkTalk with the information from BT and I am hoping they can provide something similar, so we shall see.

Thanks Yarwell for the pointer wink
  Print Thread

Jump to