General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 09:26:16
Print Post

SLEAFORD FTTC

[link to this post]

Well after a seemingly endless wait, BT Openreach finally decided to grace our town with FTTC scheduled by end the of this year, classed as a "Future Exchange". No specific date given. It was to my great surprise then, that work began at the start of February. AFAIK almost the whole town is now covered by FTTC Cabinets, which I'm pretty are all ECI Telecom produced 128 models. All the ones I've seen so far are, at the very least.

My question is, what has to be done now? The cabinet I'm connected to, which is about 70m away, has been standing for a while now and no further work is scheduled for that specific cabinet on Roadworks.org now or in the future. The only work still being carried out is the remarking of symbols further into the town that BT removed when they installed a cab there. My first thought was that my cabinet was awaiting power, but after looking at the well known "Diary of an FTTC Install" I found that the work on the 26th May 2011 the OP listed as a power connection looks as if it has already been done. The photo he supplied seems identical to when I walked past prior in which a black 'bulk' (For lack of a better word) was fitted over some tubing. OR Where and When still doesn't even list it as Coming Soon, still classed as a "Future Exchange" for completion December 31st 13 which I can only assume is a placeholder date? Any ideas?

Patiently waiting for the day when I can order FTTC : /
BT [6.8Mbps Download] [0.7Mbps Upload]
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 09:38:26
Print Post

Re: SLEAFORD FTTC

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

If you contact openreach should give you an update on proceedings.

Our cabinet has just had power connected, and awaiting fibre work to be carried out, your cabinet may not follow a diary of a fttc install exactly depends of locality issues.

Edited by Housey1 (Sun 03-Mar-13 09:47:33)

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 09:41:21
Print Post

[re: Housey1] [link to this post]

I did email NGA enquires but have yet to receive a reply, its only been five working days since I sent it and they do say about ten so we will have to wait and see : /

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 10:30:52
Print Post

Power, fibre, copper ties, commissioning. It will be waiting one or more. If any of the 1st three then could be anytime between now and infinity.
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 16:57:48
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Quick update, have just checked the BT Wholesale checker and if I use my postcode, and only my postcode it now says:

WBC FTTC Up to 75.5 Up to 20 -- 31-Dec-13

Repeating the checker with either my telephone or with my house number does not present this option, which is weird. My postcode is only shared with my street, which is quite short.

Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 16:38:00
Print Post

Even better, the folks over at Openreach replied to my email and have said April, not long to go now!

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:21:44
Print Post

The dates on the checker have recently been pushed back, giving them an extra 3 months of leeway, as a result of an ASA ruling. The upshot is that everyone has a much less clear idea of when fibre is due.

So what kind of wording are they using in the emails now? I wonder if they've beefed up their warnings in the email about the dates being tentative, or if they're adding similar additional leeway on top.
Standard User Crusiux
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:15:40
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I was actually quite pleased with my response:

Dear Mr Gray

Thank you for your email

There are a couple of steps remaining with the work programme on Sleaford cabinet 26. The estimated date for completion is close April 2013. Your Communications Provider (CP) is responsible for all aspects of your service including advising on the services they can supply at your address. After the above date please contact your CP for them to check into and advise further.

Regards

BT Retail remain as useless as ever, with very unhelpful staff! See attached image.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:18:18
Print Post

The retail staff like all other isps get their information from Openreach, just have to wait for the cabinet to go live as indicated by the BT wholesale checker and then place a order then.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:28:45
Print Post

Crusiux

The BT Retail customer facing people will only be able to see the same dates as you for exactly the same 'ASA' reason. They will be told by Openreach at the same time as everybody else when the exchange goes live, They will then also get the same info for Cabinets as is available on the checker.

The only difference is that someone in BT Retail (and every other registered CP) will know which cabinets are planned to be enabled. This info is also not allowed to be passed because of the ASA ruling and a confidentiality clause in case there is a problem with an individual cabinet.

The ASA ruling has obscured accurate dates for the public completely in the interests of a few people who didn't like BT not hitting them all the time.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to