General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User julia_pse
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:10:27
Print Post

FTTC installation and setup questions

[link to this post]

I'm thinking about upgrading to FTTC from ADSL, but have some questions regarding location of the equipment.

Reading the info from my ISP, they say that I will need a VDSL modem and a new (VDSL compatible) router, and that the modem will need to be plugged into the master socket, which is in the bedroom. My combined modem/router is currently plugged in the socket in the sitting room, which is some sort of extension from the bedroom. In the bedroom socket there is a small adapter with a cable coming out the bottom that disappears into the bedroom wall, and reappears in the sitting room. The telephone in the bedroom is then plugged into a filter which is plugged into this adapter. In the sitting room is another filter where the telephone and modem/router are plugged in.

Will I be able to plug the new modem into the sitting room socket?

If not, I have also read that the engineer can supply a (data) extension cable of up to 30m, as this would usually be required if the power socket is not adjacent to the phone socket. The distance to the sitting room is less than 30m (it's a bungalow), but it would need to go through 2 doorways via the hall. What sort of cable is this 'data' cable - is it a standard Cat5 cable that I could get someone from work to put in for me in advance of the engineers visit? If so, straight through, or cross-over - are there any special requirements?

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:19:17
Print Post

Re: FTTC installation and setup questions

[re: julia_pse] [link to this post]

The data extension cable is basically some CAT5 cable, and comes with a plug on one end already fitted, so all the engineer has to do is cleat it to the skirting boards and then connect it to the socket at the end of the run.

So long as ISP ticks the box to say you need one they will supply it, and should be used to fitting them. If your run is going to be complex, they will often let you have kit with instructions on what to do.

A similar kit used to be used for ADSL, and old instructions are at http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/ADSLEXinstructions.pdf and http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE2000EX30M.html is basically what the kit comprises.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User julia_pse
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:41:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ok, I'm obviously having a mis-understanding of what Cat5 cable is smile I always thought it was the ethernet cable between my PC and router with RJ-45 plugs on the ends. Your link shows a telephone extension type of cable. That suggests that I may be OK with my existing setup to have the new kit installed in the sitting room? Alternatively maybe I could get my Dad to drill a hole through from the bedroom to the sitting room for the engineer to poke a cable through. We need to go across the doorways, and not just through them, which is why I'm trying to work out what it needs. So if anyone else has anything to add to aid my understanding I'd be grateful!

Thanks MrSaffron.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:49:56
Print Post

There are two types of cat5 cable...

The flexible cable, as you describe, comes with plugs on the end. It is intended to "patch" between the building's wiring and a computer or switch - both of which end in a socket.

The solid core cable, which is much less flexible, is intended to be used as permanent wiring in a building, running from socket to socket (or from sockets within a patch panel to sockets at the wall).

The general quote for maximum length of ethernet is 100 metres - but that is actually meant to be 90 metres of cat5 solid core, and 2 patch leads of 5 metres each. The maximum length is very much reduced (down to around 40 metres) if it is just the flexible patch cable.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 20:09:32
Print Post

Cat5 describes the cable construction not what it can be used for.

The data extension has more twists than standard phone cable which is cw1308 spec

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User julia_pse
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-13 19:34:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ok, thanks - I've learnt something today!

the company I work for installs controls for heating systems, which we can then connect to the customers computer network using the ethernet cable, so that is probably why I was thinking it was the only type of Cat5. We buy the cable on a reel, and have the tools to put the plugs on the end so I would be able to get one of my engineers to put a cable in for me, which was why I was considering it as an option.

Thanks for your help guys.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-Mar-13 19:43:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by julia_pse:
ok, thanks - I've learnt something today!

the company I work for installs controls for heating systems, which we can then connect to the customers computer network using the ethernet cable, so that is probably why I was thinking it was the only type of Cat5. We buy the cable on a reel, and have the tools to put the plugs on the end so I would be able to get one of my engineers to put a cable in for me, which was why I was considering it as an option.

Thanks for your help guys.

If the company is buying it by the reel and putting plugs on, then it should be "Patch Cable" which is multi stranded. Infrastructure, which is fixed into place is solid core.

If they are using reels of solid core infrastructure and adding connectors - that is the wrong way. Check what cable they use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User julia_pse
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-13 20:02:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

yes, it is multi-stranded - I'm probably using all the wrong terminology smile

8-strands inside, coloured in pairs - one plain and one striped I think. We put RJ45 plugs on the end to connect into a network switch (I've probably used the wrong word for that as well!)

Thanks for the clarification.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-Mar-13 20:30:45
Print Post

No, stranding applies to the actual metal conductor inside the PVC. Take one of the coloured wires and strip in back - if there is a single 0.6 to 0.8 mm conductor it is Infrastructure; if there are maybe 7 very find strands then it is Patch cable.

Have a read of Wiki ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

Third para of Cable Standard expalins it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User julia_pse
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 19:31:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Have a read of Wiki

Thanks MHC - I've learnt 2 things now!

I'm sure the engineers at work know what they are doing, so it will be me that is getting it all wrong smile
You've got me curious now though, so when I get a chance next week I shall have a look for a reel of cable and inspect it!

Thanks again.

Edited by julia_pse (Fri 08-Mar-13 19:32:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to