General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mark90997
(learned) Thu 07-Mar-13 11:48:02
Print Post

Sky FTTC Install question

[link to this post]

Hi,
Just wondering when I get around to getting FTTC installed is the engineer able to provide a new cable into the house from the pole? And will they put a new master socket in? Is this something I'd need to ask Sky when I go to order the upgrade from ADSL to FTTC?
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Thu 07-Mar-13 12:25:21
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTC Install question

[re: mark90997] [link to this post]

1) They don't do anything to the pole, it will still run over the standard copper (it's fiber the to cabinet, not to the premises). All the installing of fiber cables to the cabinets will happen before they enable your exchange (all underground).
2) Yes they will install a new master socket. It looks like this.

Edited by Timalay (Thu 07-Mar-13 12:26:10)

Standard User mark90997
(learned) Thu 07-Mar-13 12:27:50
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Timalay:
1) They don't do anything to the pole, it will still run over the standard copper (it's fibre the to cabinet, not to the premises). All the installing of fibre cables to the cabinets will happen before they enable your exchange.
2) Yes they will install a new master socket. It looks like this.

Hi,
I should of mentioned I have a back-cabled extension in the house. I'd like to get a new cable to where the master socket will go so the extension is not back-cabled... will they do that?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 07-Mar-13 12:41:26
Print Post

[re: mark90997] [link to this post]

So if it is feeding the line back down the cable on a spare pair the extension socket is actually earlier on the cable run the the master? So it runs, cable from outside -> extension socket -> master socket?

Dead simple to convert the extension to a master socket unless the extension is run outside the house or splits off.

So "it depends" - on the current wiring and the amount of flexibilty from the OpenReach installer. Since, I believe, SKYare not paying for the full managed install that BT retail pay OR for the options may be limited.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User mark90997
(learned) Thu 07-Mar-13 13:10:38
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
So it runs, cable from outside -> extension socket -> master socket?

Correct. Ideally I'd like them to redo it so it goes outside --> Master --> Extension (without any back cabling.) So it sounds like if I get a flexible installer I might be able to get that done possibly?
  Print Thread

Jump to