General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 09:47:29
Print Post

Fibre to fibre

[link to this post]

Quick(ish) question.
Why,if I want to change provider, from one fibre product to another, do I need to go back to plain old adsl. Im trying (really trying), to leave sky FU for Plusnet UF

Edited by HiPing (Fri 08-Mar-13 10:04:36)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Mar-13 09:57:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre to fibre

[re: HiPing] [link to this post]

A few more details would be useful. From which service to which and with which providers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:03:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Whoops, edited for you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:04:01
Print Post

No

The complication is the return to donor side, where the phone line is going from fully unbundled to a WLR product I suspect.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:10:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Surely in this day and age the transition process could be made a lot simpler.
Plusnet could not take over the line as there was an "incompatible product" on it and they suggested I phone sky, to get them to remove it. I assume the "incompatible product" is the LLU fibre. sky are unable or unwilling (long story) to downgrade me at this time to plain old dsl and even a cancelation of the line would take 2 weeks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:14:18
Print Post

Are you ordering a fibre and telephone service from Plusnet?
Ordering JUST fibre will definetly not work, due to how Sky deliver the telephone part of their service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:17:50
Print Post

No, Im going for Fibre/Phone. Kudos to Plusnet though, they did try and see if they could take over just the broadband and tackle the phone side later, no luck on that though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:25:36
Print Post

Plusnet should have known better, it is not a secret that Sky use full LLU rather than a WLR product for the telephone service usually.

The procedure should not be very different from moving from a standard ADSL2+ and phone via full LLU to plusnet phone and broadband i.e. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#s...

Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 11:26:02
Print Post

I take it that this is what Plusnet have tried to do, but for some reason it being fibre not adsl (god knows why) it cant get passed over. I have asked sky to put me on to adsl but their systems "were unavailable" at the time, so it could not be completed. I have to wait 48hrs for a callback. Things did get a bit heated and I said just cancel the whole line but even that takes 2 weeks.
Plusnet should have known better, it is not a secret that Sky use full LLU rather than a WLR product for the telephone service usually.

Plusnet were quick enough to take my money (£29.99) and I am surprised they did not know about this as well.
So now I have an account with both sky and Plusnet, seems Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 12:05:57
Print Post

Sky moving you onto ADSL would probably mean a new contract as requires physical changes that they will be charged for

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to