General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:12:38
Print Post

FTTC Cwmbran Torfaen

[link to this post]

In the town where I live Cwmbran BT Openreach have been very busy installing Fiber Cabs but the problem is I live on the edge of town in a small suburb which is kind of cut off from the rest of the town as you have to drive /walk over a river bridge and railway bridge to get to it and the homes there are served by 3 street cabs in the area and I already have slow broadband and no fiber cabs have been installed where we live, How can I find out if my cab will get a fiber upgrade i did try and email Openreach but they have not replied , My mother lives on the other end of town and they installed a cab there three weeks ago and it is working there I spoke to a tech outside that cab and he was preforming a software update on it and he said that cab is already to go,

Can any one here tell me is there any way to find if the cab i am on is going to get a upgrade

What i do find odd is they have upgraded the areas of cwmbran that have Virgin Cable ex NTL and they have not done the areas of the town like where i live that have no access to virgin cable,

Edited by LA7 (Fri 08-Mar-13 15:15:11)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:20:05
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cwmbran Torfaen

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LA7:
What i do find odd is they have upgraded the areas of cwmbran that have Virgin Cable ex NTL and they have not done the areas of the town like where i live that have no access to virgin cable,

That's all about the money. They get someone who's currently on Virgin to come back to Openreach / BT they get line rental and FTTC revenue extra. Someone who's already paying Openreach line rental is just worth the extra for FTTC, which isn't that much.

Either check for availability at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html or email nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:25:23
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Hi there thanks for the info on the BT site I am on cabinet 17 which is on the Cwmbran exchange adsl speed of 2.5 and also I can tell you cab 17 is located on stowe path Llanyravon Cwmbran NP44 8SE https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=stowe+path+cw... ,

Also the email address you have gave is the one I emailed but have had no reply,

I see what you mean by they want people to come back from virgin media as in the town in the areas that have access to virgin 95% of them have a virgin drop box on the outside of the house so they have virgin services,

Thanks for the info

Edited by LA7 (Fri 08-Mar-13 15:36:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:49:15
Print Post

It may simple be the number of properties that use the existing cabinet which means your cab 17 may only get done via

http://www.superfast-wales.com/where-and-when

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:53:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for that so even though the rest of the town is getting fiber to the cab my area might not even though if i walk 5 min over the railway/ river bridge towards the town center there is a nice new fiber cab there?,

Another thing is Llanyravon is a small area served by 3 cabs around the area and a lot of the area is senior citizens around 65% who have lived here since the houses where built in the 50's and I can not see a large amount of them having broadband,

Edited by LA7 (Fri 08-Mar-13 16:03:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:22:16
Print Post

It might not via the commercial rollout, but the welsh assembly project has just started delivering hence the link

Small area and three cabs, so if by small you mean 300 homes then very unlikely to get commercial roll-out

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:27:36
Print Post

Hi thanks for your reply yes i would say 400-600 homes in total served via 3 cabs,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:31:10
Print Post

The large cabinets BT deploy normally need around 500 lines each to be viable, and the smaller one is still around the 300 mark. So there is the answer - not enough properties.

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:35:27
Print Post

Ok thanks for the help the current old cabs here are the large old green ones they look like cast iron, Looks like i will not be getting bt infinity any time soon

Edited by LA7 (Fri 08-Mar-13 17:51:06)

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Mon 11-Mar-13 17:08:57
Print Post

Just to update the cabs they installed last month on the otherside of town have all gone live if i type a post code from that area NP44 4RX it now shows up on the bt infinity checker so people in that area have a choice of FTTC or Virgin Media now ,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to