General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheFunkySpy
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 13:11:41
Print Post

Will a comparatively poor ADSL2+ connection = poor fibre?

[link to this post]

Having pretty much sorted out the logistics of setting up fibre at home, I'm now wondering what my likely speeds will be.

For many years I've had an underperforming ADSL2+ connection and there have been historically issues on the line with noise, albeit none recently. About 15 years when I was first using dial-up it was considerable at times, affecting voice and any ability to connect. If my memory serves me it was resolved by a re-routing, but I can't remember any of the technical specifics. About 4 years ago while with Be* I started to have serious issues with SNR margin jumps, noise/bursts of interference and disconnections in addition to low(ish) speeds. Despite ending up dealing with the top brass at Openreach and a number of engineer visits (usually the same guy), the issues weren't fully resolved. At the time other things in life has a much greater importantance so things were left. Indeed it's the passage of time that has improved things much more than BT ever did.

Anyway as it stands my line is slow for a 26db attenuation, 12-12.5MB on a 6db margin. However it is sufficiently stable to have allowed o2 to put me on a 3db target, and the I've lowered it further to 1db using the DMT tool with my Belkin 7633 router. I rarely get more than one disconnection every fortnight or so, CRCs are generally low and speed, at a smidge under 15MB, is good.

For fibre, the BT Wholesale checker gives a healthy estimate of 57.8MB down 18 up which is very tempting. However I am concerned that if the line 'issues' are in that 450m to cabinet as the crow flies then I could be somewhat disappointed.

So should I be overly concerned? And if there's problems, are Plusnet/BT any better set with fibre to resolve them?

Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Mar-13 13:17:08
Print Post

Re: Will a comparatively poor ADSL2+ connection = poor fibre

[re: TheFunkySpy] [link to this post]

Fibre sorted out my line problems, and even though the stats indicate there may still be problems on the line, the performance is unaffected.

Is your line to the cabinet up poles or down holes?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 13:33:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's encouraging.

The road I live on is part private, un-tarmacked. The cabinet(s), presuming I've identified them correctly, are at the top of the public road, underground all the way.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Mar-13 13:58:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheFunkySpy:
So should I be overly concerned? And if there's problems, are Plusnet/BT any better set with fibre to resolve them?

Not especially - It's Openreach that has to fix them and they are not allowed to give any ISP preference over any other. It's the level of support from the ISP that matters and, very unusually, having had both a voice and a broadband fault that needed fixing in the last two weeks, the performance of both Plusnet and Openreach in each case has been exemplary.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 14:23:14
Print Post

I would say it would depend

The location of the source/s of the interference are,( Assuming it's down to) interference ,It could of been down to the exchange equipment (that never is at fault) according to a certain ISP
if they are anywhere along the E side then FTTC wouldn't be affected by those Where as if it was on the D side (The bit between your master socket and the PCP ) then there is the potential for it too a have an effect on FTTC Because it still uses the copper pair, so matter which ISP your with

Unfortunately there isn't really any way of knowing if it will or wont for sure, it's a case of go for it and hope it doesn't affect the FFTC service, being the only way for you and anyone else to find out, It's either that or you wait until FOD sees a significant drop in price

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 09-Mar-13 14:26:42)

Standard User BP1
(committed) Sat 09-Mar-13 15:16:35
Print Post

I had an absolute nightmare of a connection with ADSL2+ from the day connected to this package.
Fortunately fibre FTTC arrived 3 months later and the problems all went away once connected to FTTC.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 19:01:23
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I thought it may be a case of suck it and see.

There's been no obvious source/sign of interference in the last 18 months or so. Admittedly I've not be monitoring 24/7 for some time however I've not seen anything like I once did. Considering how close to the margin I've been running I'm surprised I don't see more disconnections.

It's a bit frustrating I've never quite got to the bottom of why I'm 3MB below the average for my attenuation but I'm thankful it's been stable recently. Therefore it's a bit of a gamble changing, especially with o2 flinging out freebies in some desperate attempt to retain customers ahead of the proposed Sky purchase. I just feel it's probably time to make the jump now while it's a proactive choice rather than a wholly reactive one. Fingers crossed it won't prove a pain in the posterior.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 21:52:56
Print Post

TBH It's the possibilty of the interference that I'm 99% sure is affecting my Dside pair, more than likely within the cable bundle under the footpath as there is no or it's only partly ducted,But where there is no ducts the line plant is just buried or lying on the sand under the old paving flags with are now covered with tarmac
As 18mths is a long time ,to have a poor vdsl service ,And when you think about it,BT shouldn't really be selling VDSL if it has to use the copper d'side, As the copper line plant was never designed for ASDL nevermind VDSL , It IMO should be FTTH for all

(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 22:18:12
Print Post

Absolutely! However that doesn't fit in with the usual British approach to infrastructure of short sightedness and bodge.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 09-Mar-13 22:23:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
It IMO should be FTTH for all
Great idea... if you don't mind waiting maybe a decade or so for an installation date, and paying hundreds of pounds for it.

Bill
____________________________________/white]Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to