General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Drumhum
(member) Mon 11-Mar-13 01:25:41
Print Post

Less than 15Mbps on a 500m line?

[link to this post]

About three weeks ago I moved to fttc. I'm with Plusnet.
Prior to fibre bb I had a stable sync of >6Mbps often 7. On adslmax, I'm a significant distance from the exchange too (about a mile as "the crow flies" - so far more as "the cable runs")

It was estimated I would get 37Mbps before I moved to fibre on the online checkers and this was also the speed that Plusnet still have on my account from their estimate "test" prior to installation.

Now I'm on fibre I seem to be getting less than 15Mbps download speeds. When installed, the engineer noted a sync of 16 and he walked away saying it would improve over the next ten days (groan). It's never improved or changed much at all really.

BT speedtester says my sync speed is currently 15.2Mbps. I've seen download speedtesters showing sub 10meg speeds, but mostly I get around 12 to 14Mbps.
I am less than 500m from my cab. Even allowing for a daft route my line can't be more than 650m or so to the green box.

Surely I can expect better speeds than this, considering my line length?
(If it matters I'm supposed to be on plusnets 80/20 fibre broadband.)

Something must be wrong somewhere, no?

Tia
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 11-Mar-13 07:24:40
Print Post

Re: Less than 15Mbps on a 500m line?

[re: Drumhum] [link to this post]

I think your line length estimate is way off, you do have a problem been quit a bit below the estimate but I think a estimate of 37 is too low for a 500m line.

Dont think there is no crazy routing on BTs network either, eg. my line length to exchange is over 4km yet by road its under 2.5km. To cabinet under 200m, yet attenuation suggests I am nearer 400m.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:09:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Drumhum:
When installed, the engineer noted a sync of 16 and he walked away saying it would improve over the next ten days (groan).

As you say, groan. FTTC speeds rarely increase after installation, they usually decrease if anything and the 10 days is pure fiction. I suggest you raise a fault on the Plusnet portal and post the ticket number in the Broadband and Routers section of the Community Forums.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 11-Mar-13 12:08:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:53:52
Print Post

Something must be wrong somewhere, no?
There have been several cases of people's lines not going to the obvious cabinet. There's a chap on IDNet whose line goes 1km to a cab instead of 300m. Is your property significantly older or younger than those closer to the cab?

Although the BT availability checker does now tell you the cab number.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Mon 11-Mar-13 11:54:53)

Standard User Drumhum
(member) Tue 12-Mar-13 03:04:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thank you all for the useful replies.

I'm sure of the location of my cab. I've asked BT engineers numerous times.

There is another cab nearer to me and I reckon I am on the fringes of my cab area. In fact I think the house opposite me and next door but one is on the closer cab.

My house is average in age to surrounding houses. I have a town house. There is no new developments or estates to confuse matters. It's all late 1800's early 1900's housing round here.

I've already had an engineer out. Maybe i should have mentioned this, but it such a dead loss...

His role was to "increase my speed" (!). As far as I can tell he tested at the cab and found the full speed present there (at 40MBps as Plusnet had erroneously placed me on the lower speed package - I'm paying for the unlimited BB). He then tested at the top of my pole and said it was the same speed as I had at my faceplate. From this he concluded the wiring from pole to home was immaculate. So he seems to have confirmed what I was getting. He admitted it seemed a bit on the low side but within spec. I asked what might be pulling the speed down and he said it could be anything. i asked if there was aluminium in the line (which i am sure i have asked in past times and its all copper) and he said theres no way of knowing. He said he had performed some tests and they all showed "green" and that the line showed no faults. I asked if he could measure any line characteristics and he said no. I asked if he could find out my attenuation and he said no. I asked what my line length was and he said it was anyone's guess- he had no way of knowing. I asked if he had any way of measuring the electrical performance or parameters of my line and he said he didn't. I asked how he could make any sort of diagnostics without such info and he said it didn't work like that.

He was around for most of the morning, said he has tried everything he can think of and would I sign his book. I said I didn't feel like we had learned anything from this process but he said he had tried everything, so what could I do but sign his book. I then read in the report he sent to Plusnet that I was happy with the outcome.

Sheesh.

I see this might be yet another broadband battle (aren't they always?)

I shall contest the findings and push the matter further with PN. I'll do my best to conduct the case on the community forums so that I get a tech support op with clout.

I note tonight my speeds were down to 5Mbps, BT speed test saying I have a proper problem etc.. I disconnected my router from the modem for a while. ( no power cycle) and then speed went back up to a shade below 15Mbps. Current sync is 15005kps. All very odd to me.

Any advice is welcome!
(Which i guess includes, give up now - there is more to life)
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Mar-13 09:01:32
Print Post

Any advice is welcome!
(Which i guess includes, give up now - there is more to life)
Nah. Several of us have had experience of intractable problems and we understand. Unfortunately getting these things fixed is often far more painful than it should be. BT in particular seem to have a very wide and flexible definition of 'it's working'.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 12-Mar-13 09:12:09
Print Post

if google loads it works wink

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 12-Mar-13 10:24:00
Print Post

I would keep pushing, 15Mbps on a 500 meter line surely can't be classed as working.

Didn't somebody mention that if your speed is less than half the estimate then it's considered a fault?

Do you have an HG612 modem, if so you could unlock it and start monitoring the stats to see what's going on, it may help.

If all else fails you can raise a CEO level complaint which may help.

Standard User Drumhum
(member) Tue 12-Mar-13 22:18:05
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Didn't somebody mention that if your speed is less than half the estimate then it's considered a fault?

That is very useful to know. Its funny how PN tech support don't mention this isn't it? - or the OpenReach engineer for that matter.

I've got an ECI modem B-FOCus v-2FUb/r Rev.B
I've looked up unlocking it. Getting my soldering iron out is a step too far - on principle. We'll be laying out our own fibre next!

Its very heartening to hear confirmation that things do not seem right. Thank you (all).

I shall take a deep breath and get myself off to plusnet pages.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 12-Mar-13 22:28:02
Print Post

You can quite often pick up the HG612 modems on ebay, and they are very easy to unlock, and will yield quite a bit of information.

The sort of speed you're getting would need either an extremely bad (read faulty line) or a line about 1500 meters long.

I take it you get no noise on the telephone?

My speed is well down for my line length, I'm on a 450 meter line and only get around 40 to 45Mbps, so that shows just how bad yours is. 500 meters should be around 40 to 60Mbps in my experience.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to