General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User j112
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-13 09:41:54
Print Post

Sky FTTC Vs Virgin Cable

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Signed up to sky FTTC a few weeks ago had it installed on Saturday. Took over 5hr's to for the engineer to complete the install due to problems with my internal wiring. The engineer checked the speed at the Cab and it was showing at 130Mb, at my master socket it was showing as max attainable 48mb. BT checker was showing 61.8mb Max....Apparently, my cab is a few streets away and goes past many other closer cabs, the engineer could not understand why I was not connected to a closer cab. Anyway, I've got an issue with the fibre connection...I am connection at around 38mb down and 10mb up. However I have a big problem with my Sky Fibre Broadband...

If I don't use the connection it seizes up and I have to restart everything! I have left the broadband alone and not used it and when I open firefox it takes me to sky_selfheal which doesn't do anything. I have to manually switch off the router and turn it back on and sometimes the same with the modem then it works...no lights on the modem go off all remain solid.

I created a thinkbroadband ping monitor tool whilst the connection was running overnight everything seemed to be okay all was working...I turned the monitor off and waited 10minutes ensured no activity was taking place on the connection and o sites load or can be pinged, the internet light on the sky router is solid as well as the DSL light and LAN light on the Modem. I have to restart them all and then it will work..

Any ideas why the connection seizes up when its not in use? to me it looks like either a faulty modem or router. I have the silver sky router.
I've tried wired and wireless and same issue on both..

Please see graph at 2pm I stopped the monitor and then restarted it at 5pm as you can see at 5pm the connection was dead. At around 11pm it automatically re-connected.

lMonitor

Another not so much of an issue is that even though I'm connected at 38Mb, I believe due to DLM and other factors my throughput is around 23mb. With my virgin media connection I'm getting around 30mb throughput when downloading test Linux files.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep the Virgin Cable and cancel the Sky FTTC. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------

ISP INFO

Exchange Info: Montfort

1st Ntl World Dial Up
2nd Pipex 512k/1mb
3rd UK Online- 4.5mb
4th Zen - never got connected !
5th Sky - 3.5mb
6th Virgin Media 30mb (Current)

Edited by j112 (Mon 11-Mar-13 09:44:37)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-13 16:24:28
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTC Vs Virgin Cable

[re: j112] [link to this post]

I would say it's a faulty router. It's odd they sent you one of the old Sagem routers because they've been supplying the SR101 Hub for a few months now.

I would get onto Sky and ask them for a new router.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Mar-13 18:46:07
Print Post

[re: j112] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j112:
Anyway, I've got an issue with the fibre connection...I am connection at around 38mb down and 10mb up. However I have a big problem with my Sky Fibre Broadband...

If you're on "Sky Fibre Broadband" that is max speed at 40meg down marketing (38meg speedtest) and 10meg up for £20/month.

If you want to get the most of our your line you want to regrade to "Sky Fibre Broadband Pro" which is a max of 80meg down marketing (76meg speedtest) and 20meg up. This is £30/month.

It does sound like either your router, or the Openreach modem is faulty - get on to them about that.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j112
(committed) Mon 11-Mar-13 19:04:18
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Hi Sorry I do have the SR101 Sky Router. I will look at getting the modem and router replaced!

ISP INFO

Exchange Info: Montfort

1st Ntl World Dial Up
2nd Pipex 512k/1mb
3rd UK Online- 4.5mb
4th Zen - never got connected !
5th Sky - 3.5mb
6th Virgin Media 30mb (Current)

Print Thread

Jump to