General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:44:13
Print Post

Questions for Zarjaz - local knowledge topic!

[link to this post]

Hi Zarjaz - new poster here, but long time reader.

I live in Sindlesham and have been on Infinity since Cab 29 went live in Oct 2010. Am now in process of moving - same road, so stupidly assumed that the new property would be served by the same cab. However, upon checking, that does not appear to be the case, as the new property was built about 10 years earlier and BTW checker states the property is served by Cab 71 (assuming that I've got the property phone number correct!)

The BTW checker reports that FTTC is available but with a DLR rate of upto 7.7Mbps and ULR of upto 1Mbps - a bit different from the ~36/6 I'm getting currently...

My questions for you, if you are able/could be so kind as to provide your thoughts, are as follows:

a) The FTTC service is not shown on the Infinity availability checker for the new property, only the BTW checker - I guess because the estimated d/l speed is below 15Mbps (not sure if that lower limit still applies?). Do you know if BT would even migrate my exisiting Infinity service to the new address given the estimated speeds?

b) Where is Cab 71 located? - I guess the poor estimate is related soley to distance of property from Cab? Both houses are off Mayfields btw, my current line length is alledgedly ~700m to Cab 29 by Rainbow Park.

c) I guess it would not be possible to run a new line to the new house from Cab 29, and even if so, if if possible it would be horrendously expensive?

d) Would FTTPoD be an option in a few weeks, and in theory would that be run from the node nearest the property regardless of which cab the line is currently connected to? potentially very expensive again I guess...

So many questions.... thanks in advance for any answers/guidance/hope you can provide... smile

Mike
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 13-Mar-13 14:05:34
Print Post

Re: Questions for Zarjaz - local knowledge topic!

[re: dogbolter] [link to this post]

What does the BTW address checker say?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 14:29:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ohhh... didn't know you could search address by house number too - learn something new every day....

So that gives me the following:

WBC FTTC DLR Up to 26.5 ULR Up to 5.6, and says the property is connected to Cab 19!

I guess I have an old/incorrect landline number for the house.

Zarjaz, based on your knowledge, did Cab 71 sound plausible or nonsense for this location in Sindlesham? Is Cab 19 down by Sainsburys?

Only the FTTPoD question still applies I guess!

Thanks BatBoy,

M

Edited by dogbolter (Wed 13-Mar-13 14:32:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-13 15:26:23
Print Post

FYI: May Fields Guest House gives both by phone # & address:
Address May Fields Guest House on Exchange WOKINGHAM is served by Cabinet 19

Available Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
Featured Products
WBC FTTC Up to 26.5 Up to 5.6 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 17:16:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks - makes sense - that's just around the corner and consistent with the BTW checker estimate for my new property.

M
Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 13-Mar-13 17:26:25
Print Post

Not sure were your new home maybe , but

Wokingham Cab19 is Kings St / Reading Rd (in layby ) and Cab 71 is Binfield Rd / Barratt Cressent.

As for rainbow park ! frown lol

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png

Edited by btbert (Wed 13-Mar-13 17:28:02)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-13 18:06:56
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

No, My cab is in Tilehurst about 10 miles from Sindlesham.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 19:33:04
Print Post

Yeah - scratch the earlier reference to Cab 71 - well out of the way and not applicable - I must have been referencing an old landline number for the new property that has now been reassigned to the Barrett Crescent area.

So, it must be using Cab 19, which sounds like it's where the kebab van parks at night.

@btbert - I'm guessing loss of service due to chilli sauce spillage would be lower risk than the Rainbow Park DSLAM kit going walkies... smile

Looks like I'll be OK then, albeit with an approx 50% drop in downstream speeds - oh well, may get a FTTPoD quote for a laugh over the next few weeks.

Thanks all for your help,

M
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-13 23:24:41
Print Post

Wow, sorry for being so late to a thread with my name on it !

Sounds like you have all the info you need now.

Wonder what patch BTBert works ???

and X-ray, all these years and you are just down the road ! 9smile0

Standard User dogbolter
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 23:42:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

S'kay - your stand-ins were adequate smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to