General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leaskovski
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-13 16:11:42
Print Post

FTTC available but no ports available with provider

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I tried to get my DSL connection with Sky switched over to Fibre the other day, and the order got accepted. I have now just had a phone call from Sky telling me that they they have had to cancel the order because their are no ports available.

What exactly does this mean? The Cab that Im connected to is full and that regardless of provider Im not going to be able to get Fibre!?

=============
Pipex Solo500 >> PlusNet Plus 2mbps >> PlusNet Plus 6mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Mar-13 16:36:26
Print Post

Re: FTTC available but no ports available with provider

[re: leaskovski] [link to this post]

Or the GEA link (between Openreach and the Sky MSAN) they have there, or the MSAN itself is full. (Even though you are already on it).

If the cabinet >> PCP links are full Openreach usually add more fairly quickly. If the FTTC cabinet is full they usually add another.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User leaskovski
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-13 17:19:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok, well talking to Sky again, the chap mentioned that there are no more "slots available on the dslam" and he said that I would probably have the same issue if I tried to order with another provider.

Is that actually the case? Is there anyway to get information from Openreach about capacity?

=============
Pipex Solo500 >> PlusNet Plus 2mbps >> PlusNet Plus 6mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Mar-13 17:26:02
Print Post

If they mean the Openreach DSLAM, if it just needs more line cards then fairly quick.

If it is fully populated with line cards and all ports in use, i.e. all 288 lines are occupied (for full size cab) then it will be a few months possibly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Mar-13 10:21:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Or the GEA link (between Openreach and the Sky MSAN) they have there, or the MSAN itself is full. (Even though you are already on it).

No he isn't, the GEA Cablelink only carries FTTx traffic, and doesn't go to a Sky MSAN but to a Sky switch. The Sky MSANs connect to that switch also, as does the backhaul from the exchange to either the Sky network or the next exchange on the daisy chain.

There are no capacity issues with Sky's MSANs in terms of ports that could affect availability of FTTC, the only thing that may cause rejection of an order is lack of ports on the Openreach MSAN or the tie pairs between PCP and MSAN.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 15-Mar-13 10:21:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:00:10
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2012/11/spotters-guid...

Scroll down to the cabinets inside the exchange and you can see the business side of the exchange handover node, with the GEA cablelinks on the left hand side

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:56:19
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No he isn't, the GEA Cablelink only carries FTTx traffic, and doesn't go to a Sky MSAN but to a Sky switch. The Sky MSANs connect to that switch also, as does the backhaul from the exchange to either the Sky network or the next exchange on the daisy chain.

There are no capacity issues with Sky's MSANs in terms of ports that could affect availability of FTTC, the only thing that may cause rejection of an order is lack of ports on the Openreach MSAN or the tie pairs between PCP and MSAN.
You take my broad brush answer and apply a silly amount of detail, ending up with a statement which is meaningless and clearly cannot be correct.

The logical conclusion of "the GEA Cablelink only carries FTTx traffic, and doesn't go to a Sky MSAN but to a Sky switch. The Sky MSANs connect to that switch also" is that a single GEA link can carry an unlimited number of FTTx connections from the Openreach incoming circuits to an unspecified number of Sky MSANs (that don't have ports on line cards allocated to connections and can accept an unlimited number of circuits) via a Sky switch that can handle an unlimited number of connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User leaskovski
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:57:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well that just sucks then. SO going by what he said, there wouldn't be any hope of getting Fibre with another provider.

The new green cab over the road from Cab 3 that I'm connected to is probably about 4 foot in hight. Im guess that means they would have to stick another cab in for fibre. Well I just can't see that ever happening.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-13 16:06:53
Print Post

Why wouldn't they add another cab? They have elsewhere.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Fri 15-Mar-13 16:21:32
Print Post

You will never know until you try!.

Try contacting BT Retail or Plusnet, be honest and say Sky have told you they cannot supply the service due to lack of ports. You may find that it is not ports on the Cabinet that are short but capacity on the GEA between the Handover point and the Sky network and Sky do not want to buy additional GEA ports as they cannot see enough future demand to fill an additional GEA.

If there are no ports on the Cab you will get the same answer as Sky so no loss, if it is something to do with Sky you will get the fibre service you want but from a supplier that may not otherwise be your first choice.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to